Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

5 week update: There's still no color in the comb, despite what the pics show. I can't see where it's grown at all. The patterning seems to have mellowed out a bit on the wings, I need to get a pic of that. I have two others with EE patterns, but they have single combs. At what age do those start changing? They both look the same, small and no color.

4 week pic

5 week pic
So far so good! Individual rates of development vary of course, but I think the majority of cockerel combs, both single and pea, will start developing by 6 weeks.

Here's some updated pics of Elsa. She has a really funny cheep. It sounds like she has a cold and she's hoarse. It's pretty funny.
She's 11 weeks old (almost 12).
Pullet or roo? (she's a pullet right?) She's has a dirty beard in these pics.

[COLOR=333333]Here's some updated pics of Elsa. She has a really funny cheep. It sounds like she has a cold and she's hoarse. It's pretty funny.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]She's 11 weeks old (almost 12).[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Pullet or roo? (she's a pullet right?) She's has a dirty beard in these pics.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Pretty sure that's a pullet. The comb would be more prominent by now, plus that tail is a classic hen shape. It would have the beginning of curled longer top feathers by twelve weeks, and possibly it might even crow.

I can try, but in far from experienced.
okay, these are 4 bantam duclle they are two months old. I am totally confused by two of them having waddles? I haven't seen this in the rooster bantams. I am thinking they are a mixed breed, but then how do I sex them? One of the chicks without waddle, has a huge crown? I just don't know what to think!

okay, these are 4 bantam duclle they are two months old. I am totally confused by two of them having waddles? I haven't seen this in the rooster bantams. I am thinking they are a mixed breed, but then how do I sex them? One of the chicks without waddle, has a huge crown? I just don't know what to think!

This is Ana and she is one of five hens I recently purchased this is my first time ever being owned by hens and I am having a blast with them. She really has a dominant personality and has to be the first outside the coop in the morning and if I dare to give another hen a worm or anyttrhing before her she tries to steal it from them then the chase is on allover the yard. I don't think I have laughed so hard in my life watching them with their antics. I keep saying she because I was told she was a hen but she is so much bigger than the other Easter egger I have and they are the same age. I sure hope she is a hen. She was sold as an Amerauana but am thinking now because of the leg color being slate she is an Easter Eggger, this really doesn 't matter to me but I am also hoping she is actually a she but her tail feathers are starting to curl. When I got her she was 2-3 months old and I've had her for 6 weeks so she's between 14-18 weeks now. Although the pictures don't show it too well, her comb and face is starting to turn a little red. I have another one I think regretfully is a roo but will get those pictures in a different post. Thanks in advance for any help. Please please please be a hen.

I think Ana looks like a hen. Round feathers, small pea comb.
This is Ana and she is one of five hens I recently purchased this is my first time ever being owned by hens and I am having a blast with them. She really has a dominant personality and has to be the first outside the coop in the morning and if I dare to give another hen a worm or anyttrhing before her she tries to steal it from them then the chase is on allover the yard. I don't think I have laughed so hard in my life watching them with their antics. I keep saying she because I was told she was a hen but she is so much bigger than the other Easter egger I have and they are the same age. I sure hope she is a hen. She was sold as an Amerauana but am thinking now because of the leg color being slate she is an Easter Eggger, this really doesn 't matter to me but I am also hoping she is actually a she but her tail feathers are starting to curl. When I got her she was 2-3 months old and I've had her for 6 weeks so she's between 14-18 weeks now. Although the pictures don't show it too well, her comb and face is starting to turn a little red. I have another one I think regretfully is a roo but will get those pictures in a different post. Thanks in advance for any help. Please please please be a hen.

Back
Top Bottom