Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

So I'm 99% sure this is an EE. but is it odd this roo has such a small comb? This is why I thought "Dale" was a hen for so long

So I'm 99% sure this is an EE. but is it odd this roo has such a small comb? This is why I thought "Dale" was a hen for so long

muff and beard, not an Ameraucana = EE, right?
wink.png

Thanks for all the descriptions of molting. It helps to know that there are diff versions of "normal." I was wondering if behavior also changes. My most bald hen (normally very out-going) runs away if I bend down to pick her up. She's a bit skittish or something - which is far from her normal personality. She is normally the first to cause trouble, investigate, & jump into my lap. Definitely strange to see her run away. She's also not bossing the other animals around.

Behavior absolutely changes. I think they feel a lot less secure when they are moulting. My most aggressive girls (Anconas) are really docile when they have no tail. Of course with the new feathers comes a return to normal "reminding" the other girls that they are NOT the top of the pecking order.

8 week update on mine: Their mothers are EE's and father is a new hampshire red mix.

Opal - single comb

Annie - pea comb, not growing at all

Olive - single comb

Last edited:
Would love some input as to gender on these three. They come from Cackle Hatcher via a local farm supply store.

Chick #1

Front Middle

Chick #2

In back

In back again

And chick #3

In front

To the right to get a better view of her feathering pattern

They're young & I'm not an expert. I believe 1 & 3 are pullets b/c I cannot see any male indicators. Number 2 is harder to tell. When I enlarged the pic I saw a tiny bit of pink comb, but everything else looks pullet to me. I have a Coronation Sussex female that got pink in the comb around 4-5 weeks. I was so sad b/c I thought male. Thankfully, someone pointed out to me that the CS just gets pink much sooner & that I indeed had a female. In other words, keep an eye on the development of #2 and repost in a week or two to make sure it's a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom