Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thanks! I posted on the lavender araucana breeding thread, and they felt most likely would give black babies with the dark moms. Very unlikely to give a blue egg gene with his straight comb. No matter what, he has a forever home with us, whether I hatch out eggs, or not. He is a truly great, all personality, flock protecting guy.

I am trying to upload a pic, but I'm having trouble. He doesn't like people pointing things (cameras) at him at all. He is very cautious in his duties. I only ever seem to get a pic of him when her first brings his head up while eating, or with his head down. Crazy. I rarely see him eat, he is always watching, and going back and forth between groups of hens.

Another week older. this one is Zaxby. More feathered out than the rest. Very calm. Will let me flip it over and rub its belly. I got them from TSC on 2/28, and the lady estimated they were 3-5 days old then. So guessing about 4 wks old at this point but who knows

Zaxby's a pullet, but I don't know about Quack. I have one of a similar appearance, but mine has black feathers with cream lacing on its chest. Everyone seems to think it's a roo. yours appears to be getting wing patches which also indicate roo. We'll just have to wait and see what they turn into. Salmon breasts are a girl thing, but black and white chests are often boys.

Pretty sure both of these are gonna be roos just from behavior

Un named 1 ( i have two that look too much alike to name them

Un named 2

Give them a few more weeks. Watch out for blotches of black on salmon breasts, but otherwise, the first looks like it might be a pullet. I can't see any black on the breast from that picture, though it might be getting wing patches (a roo sign). Same goes for the second one. I don't see anything in either direction that would scream either roo or pullet for certain. How old are they? Did they feather out with the same speed relative to other chicks or was one faster/slower than others?

Another week older. this one is Zaxby. More feathered out than the rest. Very calm. Will let me flip it over and rub its belly. I got them from TSC on 2/28, and the lady estimated they were 3-5 days old then. So guessing about 4 wks old at this point but who knows

Of the 4 you posted, this is your pullet. The other 2 gold chicks look to be cockerels based on the solid red coming in on wings. The black and white ones are always tricky for me, but I'd say cockerel also because of the solid white on the wings. 4 weeks is still early, so wait and see how they go. Were these from a straight run?

Yes, they were straight run from TSC. But they were clearing out for their next round of chicks so they were only 25 cents each. Figure if I ended with a couple roos no big loss.

Here's a pic of Quack from the side if it helps any

Yes, they were straight run from TSC. But they were clearing out for their next round of chicks so they were only 25 cents each. Figure if I ended with a couple roos no big loss.

Here's a pic of Quack from the side if it helps any

Still leaning towards cockerel, but there is a lot of white all over, so not sure. Watch the comb and see if it pinks up in the next week or so.

So today my EE are 3 weeks old, and I am still curious on their genders. I noticed that 2 EE have adorable puffy cheeks and the other 2 don't. The other two are the ones I suspect are males. Is the puffy cheeks a sign of girls and flat cheeks a sign of boys?

Back
Top Bottom