Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Very cute! Who can resist those cheeks?

Exactly, hopefully at least one is a pullet (straight run)[/QUOTE]

I was trying to look at their feet/legs to see if anyone looked thicker. Maybe the second one? First has very slender feet, so I think that should be a pullet for sure!
big_smile.png
It would be interesting to see if you can tell. My hatchery EE had huge thick legs, though, so don't think it's very accurate. For now, all three are pullets, right? Until they turn into cockerels.
lol.png

Quote:
Well, I looked and based on the person who posted after you with 5 wk old BRs that have huge pink combs and wattles, yours look like pullets. I guess the quality of the barring is not a priority for the hatcheries, you can usually tell males and females by the amount of white in the barring. The pullets usually look much darker. As long as they lay eggs, that's what counts!
smile.png

Well, I looked and based on the person who posted after you with 5 wk old BRs that have huge pink combs and wattles, yours look like pullets. I guess the quality of the barring is not a priority for the hatcheries, you can usually tell males and females by the amount of white in the barring. The pullets usually look much darker. As long as they lay eggs, that's what counts!
smile.png
Yeah I am finding it really interesting that all the "rules" of how to distinguish difference b/w male and female go out the window if they are from big hatcheries. I am wondering when they breed them do they just hatch any old egg for a sale? What kind of standards are they going by that lead to such differences?

On a side note...what a pain it was to get the barred rocks into the coop tonight! They still haven't figured out the chicken ladder. I found them scared, huddled together in the run, making a crying sound. I scooped them up and put them away for the night- earlier tonight they were running away from me. I guess they got scared enough, that I was less scary.

I was trying to look at their feet/legs to see if anyone looked thicker.  Maybe the second one?  First has very slender feet, so I think that should be a pullet for sure! :D   It would be interesting to see if you can tell.  My hatchery EE had huge thick legs, though, so don't think it's very accurate.  For now, all three are pullets, right?  Until they turn into cockerels. :lol:

Yep, I am thinking first is a pullet too. But second and third have lots color dynamics, bright white stripes so wondering if they will be cockerels. I tried to get the most chipmunk looking ones to try to get pullets. Will have to compare legs closer to see if difference.

Welsummers are chipmunks and can be sexed at hatch. The females have very sharply defined Vs on the head. Males have more blurred/fuzzed lines. If that at all carries over to EEs, then I think your chances are good for 3 pullets. Keep us posted!
Don't believe everything you hear about Wellies either. It's a valiant attempt at sexing the little boogers, but it's not entirely roo-proof (or pullet-proof). I received some bad advice with the first two straight run Wellie chicks I picked up--both had blurry Vs and eyeliner (another good way to sex them), and got one of each sex anyway! Very happy with that outcome.

I picked up two sexed pullets with very sharp Vs and eyeliner, so we'll see if one's a roo anyway.

I picked up a bunch of EEs with eyeliner, but one's already crowing at eight weeks. It's not roo-proof, but it does help your chances, I think.

Don't believe everything you hear about Wellies either. It's a valiant attempt at sexing the little boogers, but it's not entirely roo-proof (or pullet-proof). I received some bad advice with the first two straight run Wellie chicks I picked up--both had blurry Vs and eyeliner (another good way to sex them), and got one of each sex anyway! Very happy with that outcome.

I picked up two sexed pullets with very sharp Vs and eyeliner, so we'll see if one's a roo anyway.

I picked up a bunch of EEs with eyeliner, but one's already crowing at eight weeks. It's not roo-proof, but it does help your chances, I think.

That's what i figured increase my chances of getting pullets.

Back
Top Bottom