Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

that chick has gorgeous coloring

Which chick? The black one was tuxedo. Now (s)he just has white under the chin. That my most curious and bold bird of the bunch. Now the tan and black, will they look like that before the ominous shoulder feathers come in? She has a lot of bown on her chest so thats what got me thinking shes patterning like a pullet

but cant she lift the feathers on her back to see if the hackles are coming in already?
I think that hackles come in after saddle feathers, but it might just depend on the bird. Emerging saddle feathers can be really hard to find, especially if there are a lot of other adult feathers coming in on the back, too. I looked on my roo to find saddles and hackles at nine weeks and couldn't find them. The next week he molted all the feathers on his lower back and suddenly there were those saddle feathers. Still no hackles at 11 weeks, but I have a pullet growing some really pretty ones.

Alright I know it's early by a lot of standards since my chicks are just a day shy of 4 weeks, but I swear I could tell one of them was a roo from week one. Lol! I would love it if you all could help confirm this (the roo thing not the week one thing
1f60a.png
) because everyone around here thinks I'm losing it analyzing my chicks day and night!
1f609.png
I took a bunch of pictures of him and if you all really want them I will post them, but I'm pretty sure these two will show you what I'm talking about.

He? Is just a day shy of 4 weeks. And while the rest of the chicks still "cheep" I swear he sort of "chorks" or "chucks" I don't know it's hard to describe and my husband thinks I'm overanalyzing everything. Also, "his" feet are waaaay bigger than his two "sisters". One sister, marshmallow, I'm on the fence about...

And the last one I'm pretty sure is a pullet is cupcake.

And I sure hope she is because if marshmallow turns out to be a roo that makes 3 of the 8 "sexed pullets" I got at the feed store that day Roos. One of them only because the kid accidentally grabbed me a black sex link instead of another gold laced wyandotte. Oh boy right??!

Alright I know it's early by a lot of standards since my chicks are just a day shy of 4 weeks, but I swear I could tell one of them was a roo from week one. Lol! I would love it if you all could help confirm this (the roo thing not the week one thing
1f60a.png
) because everyone around here thinks I'm losing it analyzing my chicks day and night!
1f609.png
I took a bunch of pictures of him and if you all really want them I will post them, but I'm pretty sure these two will show you what I'm talking about.

He? Is just a day shy of 4 weeks. And while the rest of the chicks still "cheep" I swear he sort of "chorks" or "chucks" I don't know it's hard to describe and my husband thinks I'm overanalyzing everything. Also, "his" feet are waaaay bigger than his two "sisters". One sister, marshmallow, I'm on the fence about...

And the last one I'm pretty sure is a pullet is cupcake.

And I sure hope she is because if marshmallow turns out to be a roo that makes 3 of the 8 "sexed pullets" I got at the feed store that day Roos. One of them only because the kid accidentally grabbed me a black sex link instead of another gold laced wyandotte. Oh boy right??!
Peep has a whole lot of comb for a 4 week old chick and a whole lot of manly rooster red on those shoulders. Marshmallow and Cupcake look like girls.

I sure hope so about the girls. And you're right about peep! Like I said he's been roo from early on, I know it sounds crazy but I swear from late week 1/early week 2 I was pretty sure I was either dealing with a roo or the hen in charge. But I'll post those other pics just because show off those beautiful feathers!!!

4 weeks on Wednesday!
1f382.png

I sure hope so about the girls. And you're right about peep! Like I said he's been roo from early on, I know it sounds crazy but I swear from late week 1/early week 2 I was pretty sure I was either dealing with a roo or the hen in charge. But I'll post those other pics just because show off those beautiful feathers!!!

4 weeks on Wednesday!
1f382.png

Peep could be the poster child chick for the EE Boys' Club! He is definitely developing early. Just goes to show how much individuals vary. Bet he starts crowing next week.
hide.gif

The others look pullet-y so far.

You're not saying your black sex link is a cockerel too are you? That's not good.
hmm.png
Usually less mistakes on those since they aren't vent sexed.

Oh no my mistake for not being clear. I meant that while originally I was a bit miffed that the kid at the feed store grabbed the black sex link instead of what I had asked for, I'm almost relieved now because it means I'm getting at least one good laying hen!
1f609.png
Not to mention Hershey (the bsl) is my oldest boy's favorite. I have 3 boys under the age of 10 expecting eggs in different colors and its becoming quite a learning experience for everyone. At least their mom is hooked and planning on doing this again next year just in case we end up with too many roosters.

I know what you mean by getting hooked. We got several birds, 13 thanks to feed store minimums and them not having the breeds we wanted at the same time. We just figured out last week that we likely have 2-3 roos and one of them being my son's favorite & likely only one of the 3 EE's we had was a pullet. We all wanted pretty eggs and one would just not due.

Hubby and I couldn't stand it when we went into the store for a wheelbarrow tire and came out with 6 more, 3 EE and 3 barred rocks (son wanted them the first time around but they were marked wrong and we got Australorps). I'm thinking one of the barred rocks may be a too as well, at just a few days old. Much different looking than the other two. Guess we'll have some finding of homes to do.

My EE's at about 8 weeks old.

still not sure about this one but he/she is now getting some 'facial' fluff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom