Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

@bruceha2000 we have a very safe coop with a run, but we're hoping to let them free range. They go in their coop fine at night but it's attached. When you say you have to babysit them if they free range do you always have to babysit them or do they get the hang of it eventually? Do they stay close or do they warned off pretty far?

Allowing chickens to roam free has many benefits, the main ones being access to a diverse and healthy diet and mental stimulation. However, when they are out of their secure coop/run, you are exposing your chickens to the chance that a predator may attack or even kill one. Hawks, foxes, bobcats, and domestic dogs are some of the more common daytime predators, but your risk really depends on your location and surroundings. Some people prefer to supervise their flocks when they are out, but even this will not prevent all losses. Just understand you are taking a risk.

That being said, all my birds (including the tiny Seramas) roam free during the day on a fenced property. Every morning, they are anxious to be let out, and only head back to the coop to lay. They return to the coop before dark with out my help, or I can call them in early if needed (with scratch). Once they are out, it is obvious that they prefer it, and I am okay with the risk, given that we are in a fairly safe area.

The farm chickens we had when I was young had 33 acres on which to roam, but tended to stay near the barn or their coop, limiting themselves to ranging on about 2-3 acres. Occasionally a hen would disappear and show up 3 weeks later with a brood of chicks. It is a very good idea to keep a rooster with roaming hens. He will devote himself to warning and protecting them.

Well.,hopefully the black and white ones were both girls. The one I was questioning got into the kiddie pool. My youngest saw it and we try to dry it off...but it didn't make it. :(

Well.,hopefully the black and white ones were both girls. The one I was questioning got into the kiddie pool. My youngest saw it and we try to dry it off...but it didn't make it.
sad.png

Oh no! So sorry to about your chick. Hope your youngest wasn't too upset.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing4Wings

The comb isn't the only way to tell the sex. Could you get a standing profile showing the whole body so we can see the color and pattern on the wing? I think it could very well be a pullet.

Sorry for the late response. If Nugget is a little pullet what awesome coloring she has, would be nice. :)

Quote: If Nugget was a duck I'd say male (little curled feather at base of tail).
smile.png
Wouldn't that be easy? So far there's nothing conclusive either way. If the breast was salmon colored I say pullet for sure. The legs seem slender and overall it just seems like a pullet, but I think you have another week or two before you'll know for sure. Fingers crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom