Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Does anyone know where I can get a white EE hen with puffy cheeks and an olive egg laying hen as well.Please? I need hens only and I am looking for green/olive eggs and or blue eggs. I live in South Carolina.
Thank you

Help! Please! I can't tell if these are hens or Roos.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Help! Please! I can't tell if these are hens or Roos.
[/URL]
They are a little to young to sex, but at this age the comb is really the best clue. If you can get close up pics of their combs it might help.

That being said, the third one has a comparatively large comb and is feathering in more slowly, as cockerels tend to do. That one might not be an EE though, which could account for some differences.

There is nothing about the first two that makes me think either is a cockerel, but at this age, you can't be sure. Try to get good pics of the combs.

They are pics from a friend who are looking to give them good homes. Im only interested in the hens. Roos go in the freezer bc I already have two. I thought the one looked like a silver laced Wyandotte myself. Thank you for the help. They are 12 weeks from what I've been told.

They are more like 4-5 weeks in those pics. At 12 weeks it's pretty easy to tell. Most pullets have small pale combs and cockerels have more prominent red combs. If you can get some recent photos post them and we'll see for sure (usually
wink.png
).

At 12 weeks should any roosters be crowing? I'm still on the fence about my 3 Dominique/Easter Egger mixes. General consensus here was that they are roosters, but only one of them is starting to look like he has the tail feathers of a rooster. No crowing coming from them, but my other 12 week old roos are crowing.

It's not uncommon for a cockerel to not start crowing until after 8 months old. At 12 weeks, the male specific feathering is just beginning to develop. Keep an eye out for long, thin, shiny feathers on the back near the base of the tail. Those are the male saddle feathers and they are usually the first male feathers to be come in. Before 12 weeks old, the comb and red shoulder patches are the most reliable ways to spot cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom