Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

She looks like my lavender ameraucana pullets. One of them kept me guessing for a long time. From the beginning we thought that one was a roo, so we named it Mr. Green Jeans. (It got the green leg band.) Well, Mr. Green Jeans is laying now, and we decided to let her keep her name, so it can be a bit confusing to hear us talk. :p This is her at 16 weeks: And now (8 1/2 months):
gorgeous chicken, I love that color

Part of the issue I'm having with comb sexing chick 1 is the fact that he/she has a cushion comb with no development. Chick 2 has what looks to be a pea comb with a single row. Both are raspberry coloured, so hue hasn't been much of an indication either.

I did post comb photos earlier:
Chick 1

Chick 2

I appreciate everyone's input. I was just sharing things I had noted and stood out to me as curiosoties.

As I said, I'm aware that black birds of both sexes can have remarkable iridescence, and both of our solid black chicks are very iridescent. The wing band on chick 1 is markedly brighter/more colourful, as was his brother's.
They're observations that may mean nothing at all, but I'm curious to find out. I have another solid black chick hatched out this past Friday that I'll keep an eye on too.
For fun.

Hello again everyone. We're at week 16 with the original bunch and we have what I am confident are two roos and two hens.

Ivy, pullet

Sinestro, cockerel

Zatanna, pullet

Cobblepot, cockerel.

I'm still convinced that the feather "coronas" and increased irridescence may just be an identifying factor in black chicks, and possibly solid blues with cushion combs (before any other obvious roo feathering is present).
Our second group is approximately 8 weeks old. We have one known roo (black with pea comb), two that I'm fairly sure are pullets (one blue, one red/orange with cushion combs) and two I'm up in the air about. Of the two, both are cushion combed, one is blue with the same shiny "coronas" on the feathers of the lower back. It also displays a faint irridescence that the blue pullet does not have. I'm leaning roo for this reason. If it pans out, I'll keep you updated.

Hello again everyone. We're at week 16 with the original bunch and we have what I am confident are two roos and two hens.

Ivy, pullet

Sinestro, cockerel

Zatanna, pullet

Cobblepot, cockerel.

I'm still convinced that the feather "coronas" and increased irridescence may just be an identifying factor in black chicks, and possibly solid blues with cushion combs (before any other obvious roo feathering is present).
Our second group is approximately 8 weeks old. We have one known roo (black with pea comb), two that I'm fairly sure are pullets (one blue, one red/orange with cushion combs) and two I'm up in the air about. Of the two, both are cushion combed, one is blue with the same shiny "coronas" on the feathers of the lower back. It also displays a faint irridescence that the blue pullet does not have. I'm leaning roo for this reason. If it pans out, I'll keep you updated.
Looks like your guesses are spot on.
smile.png

I am trying to determine the gender of these 2 chickens, can you help me? Thank you in advance. I enjoy this thread and reading all the comments. Have a great day.

cokerAL, it really depends on the age. If they are 8-12 weeks, then the first one is likely a cockerel with that relatively big comb. If the first bird is closer to 20 weeks, then it could be a female. The other in the background is a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom