Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I have this Easter Egger (well that is what is was sold me for). it has a straight looking comb though and it is killing me trying to sex it. It is 5 weeks old now. The comb is developed but as you can see not red. It does sometimes stand very tall and straight like only a rooster does (at least that's what I heard). The pattern does not seem very clear though and I am leaning towards rooster. What are your impressions please?

It's a Rhode Island Red/Production Red chick.

Last edited:
So you reckon a little rooster as I do or is there still a chance of a little pullet?

There is a chance, but the color on the bird might not help you to be able to tell. Anecdotally, my single comb birds usually have a very apparent comb by 6-7 weeks if they are male. Watch the comb carefully in the next week or two to see if it looks really plump or pink.

I have this Easter Egger (well that is what is was sold me for). it has a straight looking comb though and it is killing me trying to sex it. It is 5 weeks old now. The comb is developed but as you can see not red. It does sometimes stand very tall and straight like only a rooster does (at least that's what I heard). The pattern does not seem very clear though and I am leaning towards rooster. What are your impressions please?

This chick does not look like an EE, I'm guessing it is a mix breed (though it could be part EE). It is too early to tell sex for sure. The comb is already getting pink, which makes me think cockerel. There is a slight chance of it being a pullet though. Watch the comb closely, if it is a cockerel, that comb is going to start growing and reddening in the next few weeks. Also I would expect it to start getting dark red feathers on it back and wings if it is indeed male. That light, even coloring it has right now, makes me think there might be a chance of it being a pullet. Time will tell.

Does this look like a pullet to you?

The chipmunk looking one.

Back
Top Bottom