Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Updating: 2 EE's that I'm assuming are about 8 wks old? Still need better comb photos so I can get some help sexing.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Last edited:
Neither of these birds look like Easter Eggers. The first looks like a Columbian Wyandotte. The second looks like an Austra-White.

Hmmmm, I get my birds from a local person who has all his breeds separated because he only sells quality purebred chicks. He is registered with the Texas Animal Health Commission and PT tested (diseased free) by Texas AM. These two came out of the same run from a handful of others that all looked similar (some with the rusty red look) and he said they were EE. Even if they are not EE's, they should not be two different breeds because he does not mix ever and they were together. In the big picture, I don't mind what type they are. My flock does not accept them at all though. Biggest question is: Hens or roos?

Last edited:
Thanks mymilliefleur and Wishing4Wings for confirming what I was thinking.

I have suspected the white/black/red one was a roo for a few weeks now, when the red first started appearing. If he does end up being a he, we will try to keep him, as long as he stays friendly and doesn't annoy us, the neighbors, or the hens too much. He would be our first roo, since this is only our second batch of sexed chicks and we have been lucky so far. In any case our rooster name is already picked out - Vesuvius. Yes, like the volcano that wiped out Pompeii, I hope that doesn't jinx us!.

I hadn't considered the other EE to be a possible roo as well... I'll have to keep a close eye on her just in case. We are thinking of calling this one Griffin.

Hmmmm, I get my birds from a local person who has all his breeds separated because he only sells quality purebred chicks. He is registered with the Texas Animal Health Commission and PT tested (diseased free) by Texas AM. These two came out of the same run from a handful of others that all looked similar (some with the rusty red look) and he said they were EE. Even if they are not EE's, they should not be two different breeds because he does not mix ever and they were together. In the big picture, I don't mind what type they are. My flock does not accept them at all though. Biggest question is: Hens or roos?
There is no way that 'pure' breeding stock would produce that kind of variation in chicks. One has a rose comb (dominant) and yellow legs (recessive), the other has a single comb (recessive) and white skin (dominant). He is mixing breeds to produce his Easter Eggers. They certainly aren't the typical Ameraucana-type birds. He's definitely been adding things to the mix.

Question: If I have a barred rock roo and an ameraucana hen...could I get barred pullets? I was told the reverse would result in barred males. I am trying to figure out how to get barred pullets, if possible. Thanks

What color is your hen? Is she black?

If you get time, try the Kippenjungle calculator, it puts in all the genetic combinations possible for the offspring based on the parents.

My EE babies are 8 weeks now, so I'm back again. Sesame is a very obvious cockerel, with a fire engine red comb and bright rooster red feathers popping up everywhere. He's kind of a jerk, so no big loss there ;-)

First up I have a question about Wilford. His coloring leans towards cockerel with some red showing up, but the comb is the least developed of all four EEs. Here are the best pictures we were able to take last night.

Next is Owl. Pale comb, only black and white feathering.

We have 10 spring chicks in total and judging by our backyard, they are starting their next molt, so I will post new pictures when they have their final feathering. Any opinions on Wilford and Owl in their current state are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom