Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hello. I'm new to chicken raising and I'm hoping someone could offer some help with my EE's gender. Secondly, if one/both happen to be a male my wife thinks that a fertilized egg wouldn't be good to eat or would have a baby chicken inside (that would then get cracked into a pan in the am). I don't think a fertilized egg would taste any differently. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

Sorry I'm not good with technology either. They will be 8 weeks Saturday.

Thanks again

[/URL]
Both look like pullets. Fertilized eggs don't taste any different from infertile eggs, and without incubation, there will never be any chicks.

I went through a couple hundred pages of this thread and decided i had to sign up. What's your guy's opinion of my 2 EEers, Dragon and Hawk? Roo or no? They're almost 8 weeks.

Dragon is the red head in the back left. Hawk is front right.

Dragon

Hawk

Dragon's comb

Hawk's comb

Dragon preening. Saddle feathers?

Last edited:
I went through a couple hundred pages of this thread and decided i had to sign up. What's your guy's opinion of my 2 EEers, Dragon and Hawk? Roo or no? They're almost 8 weeks.

Dragon is the red head in the back left. Hawk is front right.

Dragon

Hawk

Dragon's comb

Hawk's comb

Dragon preening. Saddle feathers?
Pullets. And saddle feathers actually begin to come in farther up the back, near the shoulders.

Would you guys mind giving me your opinions on these two? The top light one is 6 weeks old and giant, it did initially seem to have 3 rows to its comb but maybe not? Pretty big personality but I'm not seeing any coloring to indicate a cockerel? The bottom one is 5 weeks old and a jerk. His (?) shoulders aren't totally feathered so perhaps they will come in red? If there is anything on either that screams pullet or cockrel will you share what it is? My colored layers seem to be all turning into cockerels or have died so I'm going to be trying again on blue layers. I've read tons of posts but it's still not "obvious" to me how to tell without a bright red comb. Thanks a bunch!

A quick update because I think it's neat to see how they change.

I'm pretty sure she's a pullet which is great as I adore her. Definitely top hen in my flock of 24 though.

This guy did not get red shoulders but has some other red patches that have developed on his feathers. He's also got a awfully red comb for 6 weeks old. And he's still a jerk but he's beautiful so I'm not sure what to do with him yet!

Last edited:
A quick update because I think it's neat to see how they change.

I'm pretty sure she's a pullet which is great as I adore her. Definitely top hen in my flock of 24 though.

This guy did not get red shoulders but has some other red patches that have developed on his feathers. He's also got a awfully red comb for 6 weeks old. And he's still a jerk but he's beautiful so I'm not sure what to do with him yet!
Rehome that boy. He needs some adult hens to beat manners into him.

Back
Top Bottom