Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Roos or pullets one is 6 weeks the others 4.
20170519_153249.jpg
20170519_153236.jpg
20170519_153130.jpg
20170519_153011.jpg
20170519_152736.jpg
20170519_152745.jpg

Checking again on my two Easter Egger babies! 5 weeks old now, and I'm started to feel a little more comfortable with the idea that there both are, indeed, pullets. But I will hold my breath for a few more weeks.

They had chipmunk but easily distinguished markings as chicks, but now look very similar! Both are sort of a strawberry tan, but...

(1) Ainsley has more solid tan with black lacing on her wings and pure black primary feathers, and her comb is flatter but smooshed wider:
DSC_1146.jpg DSC_1137.jpg

(2) Amelia's tan has more black speckles/barring all along her wings, back, and tail, and her comb is more narrow with a slightly raised single row of peas:
DSC_1105.jpg DSC_1140.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Checking again on my two Easter Egger babies! 5 weeks old now, and I'm started to feel a little more comfortable with the idea that there both are, indeed, pullets. But I will hold my breath for a few more weeks.

They had chipmunk but easily distinguished markings as chicks, but now look very similar! Both are sort of a strawberry tan, but...

(1) Ainsley has more solid tan with black lacing on her wings and pure black primary feathers, and her comb is flatter but smooshed wider:
View attachment 552898 View attachment 552899

(2) Amelia's tan has more black speckles/barring all along her wings, back, and tail, and her comb is more narrow with a slightly raised single row of peas:
View attachment 552903 View attachment 552902

Thanks for your help!
Amelia is looking good to be a pullet, pale thin comb and an evenly dispersed color pattern. Ainsley also has pullet comb so far, but the coloring is a little concerning. I see distinct patches of darker color, which often indicates a cockerel. There's still hope, though, because I have seen this color of EE turn out to be a pullet... the darker color ends up not being quite the right shade of red and becomes a more overall pattern across most of the bird, not just on the wings, like males get. I do see darker patches on the wings, but also high on the breast, the back and tail. That's a lot of words to say I'm not sure! Hope you will post update pic next week. Fingers crossed for two pullets!

Back
Top Bottom