Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I remember some folks on this thread mentioned late-blooming roos -- how late? My Easter Egger crew is 14wks today, and the roos were fairly obvious fairly early. (I ordered 1 roo and 5 pullets, hatchery sent an extra, and I've so far wound up with *3* roos and 4 pullets!)

When I was admiring the flock the other day, I realized that Tofu has some long hackle feathers, but s/he otherwise doesn't look at all like the confirmed roosters -- comb is the same as the pullets, not as big in the body as the boys, no shiny mature feathers coming in. But I've never seen such long hackle feathers on a pullet. Now I'm worried she's a he and just not as developed! Am I just being silly? When I look at the photos, they don't scream rooster, but when I look at this chicken in person, I get much more worried.

IMG_0036.JPG
fullsizeoutput_24ac.jpeg

I remember some folks on this thread mentioned late-blooming roos -- how late? My Easter Egger crew is 14wks today, and the roos were fairly obvious fairly early. (I ordered 1 roo and 5 pullets, hatchery sent an extra, and I've so far wound up with *3* roos and 4 pullets!)

When I was admiring the flock the other day, I realized that Tofu has some long hackle feathers, but s/he otherwise doesn't look at all like the confirmed roosters -- comb is the same as the pullets, not as big in the body as the boys, no shiny mature feathers coming in. But I've never seen such long hackle feathers on a pullet. Now I'm worried she's a he and just not as developed! Am I just being silly? When I look at the photos, they don't scream rooster, but when I look at this chicken in person, I get much more worried.

View attachment 1049493 View attachment 1049494
Pullet. A cockerel with that coloring would have darker shoulder patches.

Can someone please help? I have a feeling my beloved Brooklyn is a boy. Pictures of Shirley Temple for comparison. Not sure how old they are but Brooklyn seems to have a longer tail. Not sure if this is a sign.

Shirley Temple

CameraZOOM-20170621091531045.jpg

Brooklyn

CameraZOOM-20170621091743313.jpg

CameraZOOM-20170621091712335.jpg

Not a reply so much as a question: I have been offered an 11 week old Ameraucana rooster and am wondering what I might expect temperamentally from him toward me! He would be going into a mixed group of 1 year old hens and 10 week old pullets.

Not a reply so much as a question: I have been offered an 11 week old Ameraucana rooster and am wondering what I might expect temperamentally from him toward me! He would be going into a mixed group of 1 year old hens and 10 week old pullets.
Every chicken is an individual. You'll learn more by observing him than collecting experiences.

I see so many easter eggers like Shirley Temple there. I have one too (see photo). My questions for those knowledgeable about EEs are (1) is this pattern always female, and (2) since the pattern is so common do we know what cross likely made it? Can you have a good idea of the breeds of the parents if your easter egger has this pattern?

chickens.jpg

Can someone please help? I have a feeling my beloved Brooklyn is a boy. Pictures of Shirley Temple for comparison. Not sure how old they are but Brooklyn seems to have a longer tail. Not sure if this is a sign.

Shirley Temple

CameraZOOM-20170621091531045.jpg

Brooklyn

CameraZOOM-20170621091743313.jpg

CameraZOOM-20170621091712335.jpg

I have a 10 week old Easter egger and I am not sure if it is a pullet or a roo.
Please help me figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_8102.JPG
    IMG_8102.JPG
    547.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8107.JPG
    IMG_8107.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom