Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

6F3F7936-9787-4310-BA16-FC1DC6F384EF.png
Hi! I have an EE too and put 10 random eggs under a broody (my all white EE). The first one hatched! The momma was a hatchery leghorn. So excited! Can’t wait to see what they look like and how many more will hatch!

Attachments

• A234333E-884E-451E-83E3-0285C619FAE5.png
    A234333E-884E-451E-83E3-0285C619FAE5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
View attachment 1407884 Hi! I have an EE too and put 10 random eggs under a broody (my all white EE). The first one hatched! The momma was a hatchery leghorn. So excited! Can’t wait to see what they look like and how many more will hatch!
Congrats on the hatch and good luck on the rest.
Keep track of this one... I predict it's a cockerel by that comb. :)

Hey guys I already posted in the gender thread. However i was hoping someone here who knows more about color specific gender traits of the Easter Eggers could help? I got these chicks out of the pullet bin at tractor supply. I feel like a few are starting to show signs of being Male. Can anyone help?View attachment 1407905 View attachment 1407906 View attachment 1407907 View attachment 1407908
How old are they?
So far, all 4 are pullets by the small pale combs and by coloring. The wing color in the first picture is a light orange-gold, not the rooster red that comes in on cockerels.

Congrats on the hatch and good luck on the rest.
Keep track of this one... I predict it's a cockerel by that comb. :)
Really?!?! I have been calling it “him!”! . I have only gotten hens from all my hatches with my roo...and I am hoping for a roo jr! Watch... this time they will all be boys! Also, he seems to have pink feet as opposed to the green/grey of all the girls I have gotten from him over the years. Any thoughts? So far he has always passed on the green egg gene...

Really?!?! I have been calling it “him!”! . I have only gotten hens from all my hatches with my roo...and I am hoping for a roo jr! Watch... this time they will all be boys! Also, he seems to have pink feet as opposed to the green/grey of all the girls I have gotten from him over the years. Any thoughts? So far he has always passed on the green egg gene...
I'm sure not a genetics expert, but I think pea combs are mostly dominant and he looks to have a pea comb that is already showing 3 bumpy ridges as cockerels get. Very young pullets have a single narrow ridge down the center (and most cockerels start that way too). The gene for blue shells is very close to the pea comb gene on the chromosome, so those traits usually get passed on together (not 100%), so he should be carrying at least one gene for blue shells.
Leg color, I'm not sure on. My feed store EEs usually start out with light colored legs that darken with age, but your chick looks to have white skin, which is confusing. Is it half Leghorn? Leghorns have yellow skin, so not sure where white wold come from.
I would love it if you could update as he grows. I want to see if he is actually male and how he turns out.

I'm sure not a genetics expert, but I think pea combs are mostly dominant and he looks to have a pea comb that is already showing 3 bumpy ridges as cockerels get. Very young pullets have a single narrow ridge down the center (and most cockerels start that way too). The gene for blue shells is very close to the pea comb gene on the chromosome, so those traits usually get passed on together (not 100%), so he should be carrying at least one gene for blue shells.
Leg color, I'm not sure on. My feed store EEs usually start out with light colored legs that darken with age, but your chick looks to have white skin, which is confusing. Is it half Leghorn? Leghorns have yellow skin, so not sure where white wold come from.
I would love it if you could update as he grows. I want to see if he is actually male and how he turns out.
Will do! Yes, 1/2 leghorn and her legs are very yellow! Well, there is a very slight chance he is 1/2 Sicilian Buttercup as she is the only other white egg layer we have, but her eggs are generally so much smaller that I would think I’d have noticed... but then again, she has pinkish legs...

Will do! Yes, 1/2 leghorn and her legs are very yellow! Well, there is a very slight chance he is 1/2 Sicilian Buttercup as she is the only other white egg layer we have, but her eggs are generally so much smaller that I would think I’d have noticed... but then again, she has pinkish legs...
I did a little research, and white legs are dominant, so if your EE rooster has a white skin gene, that could be enough to give the chick white legs, even with a yellow legged Leghorn mom.

Back
Top Bottom