Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thank you!! I will keep posting updates! Hopefully he doesn’t turn out mean. I have no rules where I live about roosters so I can keep them but I don’t want a mean one and I’m pretty sure one of the other five is also a rooster (mystery egg possibly buff Orpington - I’ll post a picture). I’ve heard EE roosters are notorious for being overly aggressive and mean. Fingers crossed the other 3 are hens!
Ok so here’s what I think is a buff Orpington. He/she’s been the largest since about a week old. Hatched out of a creamy/tinted egg. Huge legs. Comb isn’t huge but it’s turning pink and there’s significant waddle development. Hatched same day as the rest so 4 weeks old. Rooster for sure?

Ok so here’s what I think is a buff Orpington. He/she’s been the largest since about a week old. Hatched out of a creamy/tinted egg. Huge legs. Comb isn’t huge but it’s turning pink and there’s significant waddle development. Hatched same day as the rest so 4 weeks old. Rooster for sure?
C7652313-D34C-4571-8AE1-FCCE6571B42D.jpeg

Thank you!! I will keep posting updates! Hopefully he doesn’t turn out mean. I have no rules where I live about roosters so I can keep them but I don’t want a mean one and I’m pretty sure one of the other five is also a rooster (mystery egg possibly buff Orpington - I’ll post a picture). I’ve heard EE roosters are notorious for being overly aggressive and mean. Fingers crossed the other 3 are hens!
Give your EE a chance if you want to keep him. My avatar is an EE and he’s the best rooster I’ve ever had. :)

So good to hear! I’ve heard mixed things but mostly bad. Maybe I’ll get lucky! :) Should I have concerns about having two roosters in such a small flock? I’ll only have 4 hens assuming that the others are all female.
Yes, 2 roosters for 4 hens probably won’t work out well. I’d pick the most well mannered cockerel but wait till they get older and their hormones kick in to choose because you won’t know their true nature till then.

Actually, a VERY easy way to show people sexing EE's by demonstrating with your pictured birds there is by color. EE's are very easily sexed by color, as most are actually sex-linked too.

Females in most cases come out a partridge looking brown and black, often known as wild-type duckwing. Some though are silver too, which is strictly black and white, sometimes with a salmon breast.

Males on the other hand are quite often black and white, but have colored red, orange, or yellow feathers that emerge on sometimes the neck, back, and most importantly and almost always the shoulders. These are tell-tail signs of a male, as females cannot have that color in those regions. Other male colors that are red flags are one coming out with a black breast and red markings on the shoulders, neck, and back.
smile.png

True saddle and hackle feathers actually come in much later, so judging by them is a hard thing to do, especially when someone is new with chickens.
Would this be a EE cockerel?

Attachments

• inCollage_20200523_121720239.jpg
    inCollage_20200523_121720239.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
Lol. This thread confuses me even more. I have 5 EE chicks, and 4 of them have all of their wing feathers, and are starting to get shoulder feathers and tail feathers, and I'm assuming one is getting a beard because it looks like it stuck something in a light socket, lol. The 5th chick, however, has no feathers at all, except the bottom half of his wings, and it's just starting to get tail feathers. And it's the same age as the others.

Back
Top Bottom