Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Do EE pullets ever have long, skinny tail feathers that go up and then hang down? I'm suspecting my neighbor's 3 month old is a roo. They are long, very skinny, black and iridescent blue/green. I'm new to chickens, so I don't even pretend to have all the answers. But it looks like roo pics I've seen on this thread, although I know EE are harder to sex.

I know it's not for this thread, but I'm wondering if their BO is also a roo -- had a comb and wattles by 12 weeks and is very aggressive (especially to this EE). I THINK I see pointed feathers (are those hackle feathers or saddle feathers?) on the back too.

I'll try to grab a picture, if it's OK with the neighbors.

Do EE pullets ever have long, skinny tail feathers that go up and then hang down? I'm suspecting my neighbor's 3 month old is a roo. They are long, very skinny, black and iridescent blue/green. I'm new to chickens, so I don't even pretend to have all the answers. But it looks like roo pics I've seen on this thread, although I know EE are harder to sex.

I know it's not for this thread, but I'm wondering if their BO is also a roo -- had a comb and wattles by 12 weeks and is very aggressive (especially to this EE). I THINK I see pointed feathers (are those hackle feathers or saddle feathers?) on the back too.

Sounds like a too to me. Pointy and irridesent are two tell tell signs. Or should I have said tell - tail signs!!! Hahsha. Anyway, post pica if you can.

Iridescence is in both genders. I have black Ams and they are as GREEN as any roo. Same way with my Marans, green all over. It is a good thing really. In those breeds we breed the greener birds not the purple. That has to do with a Mahogany gene...

Sounds like the EE tail you are describing belongs to a roo!

Saddle feathers are on the back and hang down either side the base of the tail. Sometimes they're hard to see on solid colored birds. Hackle feathers are on the neck. If the feathers have a laced or penciled pattern, it can sometimes make the feathers look thin and pointed, so sometimes you need look at the shape of the feather itself.

what do you think all Roo's not the best pics I will try again later they were a bit frisky this am as i realize the shots are not the greatest but a guessing game is a guessing game.. Any good news??

the EE's ( brown, chinese ) Black and Blue are Americauna's I was told, but EE likely.

They were born May 9, with black and brown a few week behind so end of May.
17 weeks for Brown, Chinese and White(silkie)
and 14-16 ish weeks for Black and Blue or possibly older they were unsure of the date but All were born in May.

Yeah not going to try and guess on the Red and the White Silkies for gender (Chinese is a breed of goose not chicken)

The EE's (there is no i in Ameracuana) don't have any huge red flag rooish looks from thos pictures

Last edited:

Easter egger/silkie
Approx 14-15 weeks old, friendly but runs if I try and touch/pet it.
I'm hoping for a hen
fl.gif

What do you think????

Back
Top Bottom