Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Oh no! Say it isn't so! Any more votes on whether Pumpkin is a pullet or a roo?
We only just got the chicks three days ago from a friend who has about 25 other chicks. At this point, would it be ok for us to return this possibly male chick and get another one that we're more certain of being a hen? Is it ok to re-introduce a single new chick in with the four others we took home a few days ago? They were all shipped together from McMurray Hatchery and spent the first 4 weeks of their lives together. I'm thinking it's better to do this sooner rather than later whereas my husband thinks maybe we should take the wait and see approach. We absolutely cannot keep a rooster. Any advice is appreciated.
If you can swap him now for one that's obviously female and you absolutely cannot keep a rooster, swap him! I doubt they've put much effort into their pecking order yet so now would be the best time.

Here is an easter egger I'm going to be looking for some help with in a month or so! She's the teeniest little thing. About half the size of all of the official Americauna chicks she came with. I have no idea what her other half is, but I'm wondering if it's a bantam of sorts! And I'm saying "her" because my daughter is going to be heartbroken if it's a roo. This little one sits nuzzled in her neck a few hours a day.

Top left

Bottom Right

Center

Here is an easter egger I'm going to be looking for some help with in a month or so! She's the teeniest little thing. About half the size of all of the official Americauna chicks she came with. I have no idea what her other half is, but I'm wondering if it's a bantam of sorts! And I'm saying "her" because my daughter is going to be heartbroken if it's a roo. This little one sits nuzzled in her neck a few hours a day.

Top left

Bottom Right

Center

What are the other chipmunk striped chicks? Ameraucanas don't have chipmunk stripes unless you got silvers, and I don't think those are the right color for silvers. Brown Reds might be striped, but those and silvers are VERY rare.

Those chipmunks are Blue Laced Silver Wyandottes! There are 2 yellow Americauna chicks that have the chipmunking typical of a silver colour :) You can see one of them in the second picture

http://ameraucana.org/scrapbook_files/silverlf.jpg - my silvers look like this :)

How did you get 1 EE in a bunch of Ameraucanas? What are the yellow ones with black marks?

Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.... I love them.

Good question!

I've got 5 Black Copper Marans, 5 Lavender Orpingtons, 4 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, 1 Light Sussex and 14 that were Americaunas - the breeder said that they were Blue Wheaten Americaunas.

Judging by the colouring, one is the Easter Egger, one should turn out as a buff and 2 should be a silver Americauna colour. The rest are white/yellow with just slight little specks of black on them. I think only 2 have no traces of black at all. I found an interesting thread about the genetics of them here: http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=24270 . Since their wings are starting to grown out, it's interesting to see the difference in the feather colours. Some look laced with a black/brown and some are laced wheaten.

It will be interesting to see how they all grow out!

Last edited:
Good question!

I've got 5 Black Copper Marans, 5 Lavender Orpingtons, 4 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, 1 Light Sussex and 14 that were Americaunas - the breeder said that they were Blue Wheaten Americaunas.

Judging by the colouring, one is the Easter Egger, one should turn out as a buff and 2 should be a silver Americauna colour. The rest are white/yellow with just slight little specks of black on them. I think only 2 have no traces of black at all. I found an interesting thread about the genetics of them here: http://albertachickensetc.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=24270 . Since their wings are starting to grown out, it's interesting to see the difference in the feather colours. Some look laced with a black/brown and some are laced wheaten.

It will be interesting to see how they all grow out!
Don't get your hopes up...... Wheatens don't have any black markings on the back and head at that age, maybe a little on the wings but that is it. Silver Ameraucanas are VERY RARE and you got an EE... makes me think they may all be EE. I don't get my EE mixed up with my Amerauacanas. You should not get EE when you order Amerauacans. JMHO

The chick in the middle is a wheaten amerauacana. No black marks just wheaten marking coming in on the wings.

This is a basket of Wheatens day olds. Solid Yellow.

I think, not 100% sure, but EE can look like a Silver Ameraucana as a chick. You will know for sure when they feather in. Post pics in a few weeks!
thumbsup.gif

MANY MANY Ameraucanas sold are actually EE, even if the seller will not admit it. Most people just don't know the difference... they seem subtle but once you understand the differences, they will stick out like a sore thumb. One thing you can check for is leg color, are they yellow or green? They may still be too young to tell, but at a few weeks old, check the soles of their feet.

I will for sure! We're just looking for green/blue eggs for some variety, and didn't specify any kind of Americauna to the breeder. She specializes in Orps, Marans and Wyandottes but has a flock of Blue Wheatens as well. If they turn out to be Easter Eggers it will be all the more interesting! Legs are all yellow right now, but I'll start peeking for green. I'll need some help then to get our best chances of blue eggs not brown eggs :)

Last edited:
I will for sure! We're just looking for green/blue eggs for some variety, and didn't specify any kind of Americauna to the breeder. She specializes in Orps, Marans and Wyandottes but has a flock of Blue Wheatens as well. If they turn out to be Easter Eggers it will be all the more interesting! Legs are all yellow right now, but I'll start peeking for green. I'll need some help then to get our best chances of blue eggs not brown eggs :)
A pea comb will help make that determination. We will help either way
welcome-byc.gif
I have both EE and Ams and love them for different things. EE are more productive than pure Ams and more colorful too
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom