Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thanks! Yep...this little B&W started crowing about that age too! Kinda cute at first.....:p
It's cute until they break into off limits places and into chick pens and take over the heat lamp :gig

I need to properly fence above the brooder in the coops. Good thing they don't hurt the chicks.. They just like their heat lamp, and the chicks are afraid of him :rolleyes:

Naughty! Even little banty roos are so loud! They start soooo early too...i put our two roos into a blackout "bachelor pad " at dusk and let them out first thing in the morning! It works!
celebrate.gif

When do the EE start laying? I'm still waiting on a pullet who's at about 7 months now. She's fully grown. I wonder if she is laying outside somewhere :(

I've had them lay as early as 19w but it seems to average out somewhere around 23-26w. Maybe it's just my hens but they are very secretive and if they cant' get their favorite box they simply won't lay. Mine prefer a closed rubbermaid tub with a hole cut in one end to anything else.

Glad to! I got this idea from another member here who was having trouble with his hens roosting on the edge of the box. The "V" at the front makes it easy to walk thru yet unsuitable for roosting on. This photo was taken when I first put them in and was still experimenting with set up. I eventually decided on a single row facing the door so that I could take advantage of opening the lid to retrieve eggs or add bedding. The girls really like the roominess and they are a snap to take out and sanitize if I need to. Another reason I like this set up is that if I ever get a broody, I can pick up the whole thing and move her without much fuss or upsetting anyone. Cheap and easy, just the way I like it!

Most Feed stores Ameraucana are EE (easter Eggers) I personnally love the EEs have had them since 1960. Love the green legs and the green or blue eggs.Love the fact that I never know exactly what the breeding between two chickens will bring.
Recently (1 1/2 years ago) dogs killed most my my old EEs ordered 12 pullet EES. Had to wait 3 months to get them. Their Americanas notice the spelling is what most feed store use...I picked out all different colors too. Thought it would be fun to see what all the 12 different colored pullets would wind up being.
Well this summer they were all grown lots of color Especially the 6 roosters I got..... Out of the 6 pullets I did get only 3 layed blue or green eggs. So I got rid of the brown or pink egg layer to keep only the color egg layers. I now have chicks from those chickens. They are not older enough to lay. Have my fingers crossed for either blue or green eggs. So I 3 chickens out of the 12.
I bought eggs from a Ameraucana Breeder (blue wheaten Ameraucana ) hatched 9 of the 12 nice blue eggs I bought. 1 of the eggs was a black/blue cross ameraucana. Anyway I hatched 4 pullets, 4 roosters and I am not sure what the splash blue/black bred egg is yet. All beautiful chickens. But the roosters are are blue wheaten splashes. I guess they would be considers ( EEs ) as they aren't not a reconized color. Silly ugh.
I am happy because I'll just add them my flock and have some nicer EEs. Lots of blues. and will help the color of their eggs.
love my EEs
and guess what next spring I'll do it all over again

Both are cockerels for sure. Pullets don't get combs like that until closer to 20+ weeks old.
Darn. That's what I was afraid of. All four of my chicks have turned out to be cockerels! I sent the pictures to the lady I got them from today and she said she thought that these two could end up being hens. I was skeptical but I thought I would get some input here. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom