Easter Egger stopped laying!!??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenluver555, Oct 20, 2013.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I didn't get very many responses when I posted it in the egg laying behavior section. So, anyway...

One of my Easter Eggers, about eight months old, has just stopped laying! I live in Virginia, so it isn't all that cold yet. The other two are still laying. I am so upset, because she is the only one who lays the pretty blue eggs. I haven't gotten an egg from her in almost two weeks. Will she ever lay again?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Temperature has very little impact on egg laying - day length does. The shortened day length is probably a factor in her stopping egg laying. If so she will resume egg laying in the spring as the day light increases.

3. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    Of course she'll lay again. A two week break isn't that long. She could be molting, or just taking a break, or she started winter early, or could be sick. You'll be seeing blue eggs again eventually.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Keep an eye out for evidence of egg eating as well. That is sometimes the issue when egg numbers suddenly drop.

1 person likes this.
  6. joanne patricia

joanne patricia New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    my easter egger nearly a year old has not layed in 2 weeks and used to lay a lovely blue egg every day regular as clock work she is also very timid from the other chickens and does not push in to get food. ilive in southern california so cold is not an issue i really dont think she is eating her eggs "? any ideas?

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Agreed.

Sorry you weren't getting many responses, but I know that many of us have "why isn't my chicken laying?!?!" question fatigue this time of year,every year. I would suggest that you visit the BYC Learning Center, it has lots of great articles on all the most frequently asked questions. Also, there is a sticky thread at the top of the Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying forum that addresses your issue. Here it is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

8. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    My Lavender Amerauca went broody back in Aug or early Sept One day the eggs were gone.I think my Chorkie ate them but not sure nothing in the coop where there had be 4 or 5 eggs 2 were the LAms.Since then ive never seen her lay another egg.She seems healthy but always has been a smaller bird compared to my brahmas andOrps but the males arent huge either but bigger than she is.

9. leishah

leishah New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    My Easter Egger has not laid an egg since she molted and winter started, about 3 months ago. Is there anything I should be doing to spark the egg laying or will she just begin again in the Spring?

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Unless you want to use supplement light, no. She will start laying when the days start to get longer and she is good and ready

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by