Easter eggers 3 weeks gender

turtlewomyn

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
So I got a mixed flock from ace hardware a few weeks ago. These are hatchery chicks that are sexed with a 90% success rate. However, one of the "ameraucana" (easter egger) chicks is making me think it may be a rooster. I realize it is a bit early and it is a wait and see thing, but I thought I would post with photos and update later because in my searching I only see a few updates that confirm if suspicions this early were correct or not. I can't have a rooster in my neighborhood, so finding out sooner rather than later (e.g. when it starts crowing) is best.

First of all "Barb" (my son is into Stranger Things, we also have marans named El and Max) has a comb that is getting a little pink and appears to have the three rows of peas.
IMG_2059.jpg

Barb is also getting reddish feathers on the shoulders/back. Barb was "chipmunk" colored when we got them the day after hatch.

IMG_2061.jpg

Barb also does not seem to be forming a tail as fast as the other EE I have, but does have two rows of long wing feathers, and they have some pattern (bar like) on them. Sorry this photo is blurry, the lighting isn't great when I move them to their daytime pen in the morning.

IMG_2060.jpg

In comparison, the other EE named Penguin (who looked like a penguin when we got her) has a comb that is more beige than pink and is less developed:
IMG_2065.jpg

She has been growing a tail and does not have any red patches, she is more of a solid grey color.
IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

You pointed out good indicators that it could be a cockerel but don’t give up hope yet. See what it looks like in another two weeks and post some more pics. Don’t worry about the crowing. If it’s a cockerel, his first crow won’t be an ear spitting full on crow. He’ll start out with low honks and noises that sound more like a kids bicycle horn and he won’t be much louder than the hens. You have plenty of time to determine what it is before you disturb the neighbors.

So I got a mixed flock from ace hardware a few weeks ago. These are hatchery chicks that are sexed with a 90% success rate. However, one of the "ameraucana" (easter egger) chicks is making me think it may be a rooster. I realize it is a bit early and it is a wait and see thing, but I thought I would post with photos and update later because in my searching I only see a few updates that confirm if suspicions this early were correct or not. I can't have a rooster in my neighborhood, so finding out sooner rather than later (e.g. when it starts crowing) is best.

First of all "Barb" (my son is into Stranger Things, we also have marans named El and Max) has a comb that is getting a little pink and appears to have the three rows of peas.
. View attachment 2190459

Barb is also getting reddish feathers on the shoulders/back. Barb was "chipmunk" colored when we got them the day after hatch.

View attachment 2190460

Barb also does not seem to be forming a tail as fast as the other EE I have, but does have two rows of long wing feathers, and they have some pattern (bar like) on them. Sorry this photo is blurry, the lighting isn't great when I move them to their daytime pen in the morning.

View attachment 2190461

In comparison, the other EE named Penguin (who looked like a penguin when we got her) has a comb that is more beige than pink and is less developed:
View attachment 2190464

She has been growing a tail and does not have any red patches, she is more of a solid grey color.
View attachment 2190465
View attachment 2190466
Unfortunate that you can't have roosters in your neighborhood, most of them aren't aggressive if handled right as chicks, and as long as they're contained don't seem to bother the neighbors. Barb looks like he may be a rooster when compared to Penguin. My mother had a chipmunk colored bantam that turned out to be a black and white roo, so that may be an indication. But, of course yours are not bantams.

Barb may be a male, however, you can wait to see. In my experience, EE are not early crowers like some other breeds (there are always exceptions though). Good thing is that when they begin to crow it is not a full-on crow of an older rooster. Usually crowing begins around 16 weeks, sometimes earlier, but more male traits will become apparent before then. Traits such as more red shoulders, comb and wattles more apparent, and saddle feathers around 12 weeks.

getting rid of rooster: friends, or post at feed store. CL (not fb - no advertising animals on fb), or livestock auction or swap. We googled for a livestock auction and found 2 within a short drive. Good Luck!

Thanks, I will wait and see and update with photos so it can help others looking for answers.

I did post for more opinions in my local chicken facebook group and someone did offer their freezer camp, if needed. One day I will move to a neighborhood where it doesn't matter if I have roosters.

Thanks, I will wait and see and update with photos so it can help others looking for answers.

I did post for more opinions in my local chicken facebook group and someone did offer their freezer camp, if needed. One day I will move to a neighborhood where it doesn't matter if I have roosters.

Well, at around 16-20 weeks, it will have a decent carcass if taken to freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom