Easter Eggers Breeding

MaconMommy5

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
Central GA

I couldn't decide which forum this belonged in.
I came across this chart, And I was wondering if it was true? If not, Does anyone have one that is? Or info for something similar?

It's a rough guideline.
Basically, there are two options for shell color, white or blue. Blue is dominant. Brown eggs are the result of a coating applied over a white shell. Green eggs are a result of the same coating applied over a blue shell. The genes that cause brown coating are complicated. There are over 9 known genes, some recessive, some dominant. And individuals can have multiple, different coating genes. This is why there are so many shades of brown and green.

It's a rough guideline.
Basically, there are two options for shell color, white or blue. Blue is dominant. Brown eggs are the result of a coating applied over a white shell. Green eggs are a result of the same coating applied over a blue shell. The genes that cause brown coating are complicated. There are over 9 known genes, some recessive, some dominant. And individuals can have multiple, different coating genes. This is why there are so many shades of brown and green.

....Yep.... Already confused! Lol. @michaelf1478 and @RoundOakChikMan Do you have any ideas what to do? Guess we just better stick with already bred chicks.

Depends on what your goals are. What are you wanting? Sometimes you'd simply be re-inventing the wheel, and there's not much point. Sometimes, though, it's something specific you want to produce, and the challenge is a lot of fun.

Depends on what your goals are. What are you wanting? Sometimes you'd simply be re-inventing the wheel, and there's not much point. Sometimes, though, it's something specific you want to produce, and the challenge is a lot of fun. 

Technically I'm hoping to get a red or pink hue egg if possible.

Looking for a reddish brown, I'd go with Welsummers. they have more of a terra-cotta dark brown egg, as opposed to say Marans who have a more chocolate brown. That could be a starting point, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom