Easter Eggers Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MaconMommy5, Mar 29, 2017.

1. MaconMommy5

MaconMommy5 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    [​IMG]

I couldn't decide which forum this belonged in.
    I came across this chart, And I was wondering if it was true? If not, Does anyone have one that is? Or info for something similar?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's a rough guideline.
    Basically, there are two options for shell color, white or blue. Blue is dominant. Brown eggs are the result of a coating applied over a white shell. Green eggs are a result of the same coating applied over a blue shell. The genes that cause brown coating are complicated. There are over 9 known genes, some recessive, some dominant. And individuals can have multiple, different coating genes. This is why there are so many shades of brown and green.

3. MaconMommy5

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    ....Yep.... Already confused! Lol. @michaelf1478 and @RoundOakChikMan Do you have any ideas what to do? Guess we just better stick with already bred chicks.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Depends on what your goals are. What are you wanting? Sometimes you'd simply be re-inventing the wheel, and there's not much point. Sometimes, though, it's something specific you want to produce, and the challenge is a lot of fun.

5. MaconMommy5

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA

Technically I'm hoping to get a red or pink hue egg if possible.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looking for a reddish brown, I'd go with Welsummers. they have more of a terra-cotta dark brown egg, as opposed to say Marans who have a more chocolate brown. That could be a starting point, anyway.

7. MaconMommy5

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA

Alright! Thank you :) I'll start there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by