Easter Eggers' Egg Size?

nicolets

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Monroe County, PA
Hi,
I was considering chicken breeds and then Easter Eggers came to mind (I must finally admit, those colored eggs ARE rather appealing...
droolin.gif
). However, my family does not use eggs enough to eat all the eggs that we'd be getting from the chickens. We'd get probably eight to a dozen chickens to get our money's worth out of the shipping (not to mention, the more the merrier!
love.gif
) while not overexhausting ourselves (and our yard) on our first time keeping chickens. So, we'd like to sell and give away some eggs. We've been collecting cartons for years and I hope to use them for this purpose. However, on the My Pet Chicken Breed Description, it says that Easter Eggers lay X-Large eggs, which is also the size that Rhode Island Reds apparently lay. I've heard that the eggs of RIRs often don't fit in cartons. My question is, do Easter Eggers' fit?

Around 4-5 months after you have the chicks you will start to get eggs, but they will be small and grow bigger over the year or so. Also when you order chicks and order them as "Pullets=females" you are more then Likely get a Roo or two. i find it better to order More then you want and whatever ends up growing you can sell or or even eat! eggs should fit in your Basic cartons i order egg cartons for my Lovely ladies eggs and they all fit just fine and they are Easter eggers!

Ha! X-large eggs my butt! I bought 11 EEs from Meyer Hatchery (who supplies MyPetChicken) and only had 1 hen lay an x-large size egg, all the rest were medium size with maybe a few larges. I was so unhappy with them and their flighty personalities that I got rid of them before the year was up. Maybe if you raise them as pets, they wont be practically wild but I will never have another one in my coop. Colored eggs are cool, but you have to consider your market for selling. None of my customers wanted to buy any of those eggs, I had to take them to the auction to get rid of them. I don't want to discourage you, but I just have nothing but bad experiences with these birds.

I have an EE hen (hatchery Amer'i'cana) that I really like. She has a wonderful disposition and is very friendly. She lays a jumbo egg that more or less fits in a carton. Downside is that it is not green/blue but rather tinted. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

I have 2 EE's from MPC. I love them, they're really sweet, curious girls and lay blue eggs. Their eggs are large, but I've never had one not fit into the carton

My EE girls are good to work around they were nervous at first but after working with them they are great. Two of them lay large blue/green eggs in colour and the 3rd one lays a dark moss green coloured egg. I am just getting started at selling eggs to people and so far everyone seems okay with the mixed colours in my carton.

My two EE's are my favorite chickens. One lays a beautiful blue egg and the other lays a pinkish egg-both eggs are small to medium size.
I always include a pink egg and a blue egg in the cartons I sell and my egg customers love them-especially the children!
smile.png

I have four astralorps and they all lay different sized eggs. One hen lays large eggs while the other three lay med eggs. I have a five month old EE who has just started laying. Her eggs are a beautiful blue but they are tiny. I understand the egg size will increase as she ages. I wouldn't mind if she didn't lay at all. She is a pet and is the most loving bird in our flock. I can't walk out of the house without her running to me and following like a puppy. I can't say enough about her sweet disposition.
[/IMG]

My flock consists of 3 EE from Murray McMurray, and 1 RIR and 1 BSL that I hatched. The 3 EE lay varied color and sizes of eggs: large blue, medium blue, medium blue/green. I'm very pleased with them, they were the first girls to lay at 16.5 weeks. I can't imagine any egg customer not being delighted to receive a dozen eggs with a mixture of colors in each box! I would say that if you have a mixed flock, be sure to choose mild mannered birds to go with your EE. My RIR is the alpha pullet, she and the BSL are BFF, and they don't play well with the 3 EE (who don't appear to have a mean bone in their body.)

Last edited:
Is there a particular hatchery that sells EEs that lay large eggs? My two are full sized hens, but only lay a medium sized egg.

Back
Top Bottom