Easter Eggers, need help sexing please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lovelychicken, Jun 16, 2009.

1. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Songster

May 9, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Posted earlier, need help to sex these guys/gals. Supposed to all be layers but think I heard on do the "cockadoodledoo" today.

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    can't always tell by comb, a body picture would help, along with good view of tail.

3. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    How old are they?
    I tthink the top picture is a rooster and the bottom a pullet.

4. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    You can sex an EE by their tail feathers??

5. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Well any chicken. To see if they have pointy sickle feathers growing in. Which is a characteristic of a rooster.

6. lovelychicken

lovelychicken Songster

May 9, 2009
    I am gonna search what a sickle feather is, have no clue.

7. Lover-of-Poultry

Lover-of-Poultry In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Tennessee
    Quote:That is exactly what I was thinking.

8. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I bet ya to it! [​IMG] I wondered the same thing when I read the post last night. It's apparently the long tail feathers that most roosters get. dictionary says its, "One of the long curved tail feathers of a rooster."

I have 8 BO that appear to be cockerels, (red combs and wattles), but I'm only hearing one attempt to crow. I'll be examining tail feathers today!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Well, sometimes a young pullet will have a couple of long tailfeathers, too, but they molt out. So, I never go by that. Going by saddle feathers and a wide comb on an EE will usually give you the sex of the bird. Hackles aren't as dependable since many hens look to have pointy hackles in the EEs.

10. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I was looking at some photos of BO hens on google last night and noticed that their combs and wattles get pretty red! This is how I had been determining sex on my BO.... now I'm not so sure any more. We will start putting unwanted roos in the freezer in the next month or so... I don't want to butcher any of my pullets by mistake.

Width of comb... something else to look at. Think I'll take my camera to the coop/run with me and see if I can get some photos of my potential roos and get some opinions.

Lovelychicken... how old are your birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: