Easter Eggers...when did yours start laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsaySinai, Jun 27, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I got 2 easter eggers when they were quite small. I thought the guy said they were 3 days...is that normal or could I have misheard him?? Anyway, depending on that 3 day age range my hens will be 6 months in the next few days and still have not started laying. I've looked up a ton of different blogs and read anything from 20 weeks to 6 months at the latest. It seems like they're doing a lot more sitting then wandering around...thats a sign they're getting ready, right?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I've had EEs, and they did take about as long as 6 months to begin laying too. Some of the signs you'll notice are fussing around the nest boxes more often, and they will do a little "squatting" pose for you. (That is a sign of maturity, and what the hen is doing is submitting to the rooster or you.) Also, their combs/wattles will look brighter or redder.

I'm betting any day now you'll have your first egg. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

EEs are "late" layers, but if you get green eggs from 'em, it's worth the wait!
    [​IMG]

4. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Mine were definitely closer to the 6 month mark. It felt like forever waiting on the pretty green eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by