Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MissChessy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Anyone butcher Easter Eggers? Are they edible?

2. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    ARe they edible? they are all edible.. However don't know the quality of an EE.. probably about the same as other breeds of size.. I've got some pretty big EE pullets here.. and one small.. try him out.

3. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    I figured they would all be edible, you know how some sites show that chickens are dual purpose. I don't see it on the Easter Eggers. I guess I would have to stew those hens as the meat may be more tough?

I've got 1 Red Sex Link and some black sex links that are 2 years old, I hear gotta cook em' a long time for the meat may be more tough. We are fixing to butcher our bantam roosters. Gonna be some tiny meat. LOL!

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

Of course they are edible. There are a lot of variables to your question. For example, I butchered an 18 month old BR rooster that became more than a nuisance and a real pain - if you get my drift.

I can't remember for sure but I think I boiled him, then boned the meat out, & then simmered that with Wild Rice dressing. He was superb.

WRT to Teachers post below, keep in mind that is likely not true of all EEs since EEs are crosses. Some call them mutts but that tends to have a derogatory connotation so I call them crosses or hybrids. How much meat you get is going to be solely dependent on what was used to make the EE.

I made my own EEs this year by putting my Blue Wheaten rooster over a couple of my Welsummer hens. So far I am surprised by the results.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by