Easter egger's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hairymexican, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hairymexican

Hairymexican New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    trying to figure out If one of my easter egger's is a male. All 6 chicks are supposed to be female but one of the easter egger's is growing super fast and the other is not. Any advise? They were born on 1 Febuary 2012 i know it is still soon to tell but i took them all outside and the one in question was making odd noises not chirping but just diffrent noises. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Does he/she have a bigger comb than the rest?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its really to soon to tell but if one if them is getting a deep red on its wings then it's probley going to be a cockerel

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    If you can get a picture of the full body directly from the side so we can see the wings it would be easier to tell. Personally, I can't tell if there are any reddish patches on the wings from those pictures. Girls have a more even pattern, which is all I can see in the pictures you posted, but boys are more splashy/patchy colored. If I could clearly see the wings I could tell for sure. =)

5. Hairymexican

Hairymexican New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks, as soon as i get home i will have my wife help me take pics of the one were worried with. We can take it back and get our money back but we would hate to lose one of our chickens that we have grown to love. We live in the city and they are not allowed but its a new subdivision and hoping we can get really good neibhors that wont cry about it. Thanks again.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

EEs are notoriously hard to accurately sex, when young.

Last year I had 2 EE chicks. I posted pics after one started growing a long tail.

Almost all of the responders said roo. Lots said the same about the other EE also.

Thankfully both are now laying.

Here she was then
    [​IMG]

7. Hairymexican

Hairymexican New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    Well i guess all we can do is wait then huh? well here is the one in question. The First one is the biggest of all 6 chicks we have and they were all hatched the same day. They are very skittish when we try and pick them up. The chick in question just makes a strange noise randomly it did it twice tonight hard to replicate lol. Oh man they love grapes more than strawberry's too!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And the Other chick for comparison

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Your mystery chick looks like a rooster, it's got huge feet for it's age and body size and his head is quite angular, hen's tend to have round heads at early age. But it really is early to tell, I'm just guessing. When he's older post more pictures of him so that we can have a better guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by