Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
90094_photo.jpg

I got my first Marans egg!
ya.gif
I am so happy. Now I have two chickens laying eggs.
wee.gif

We experienced our 1st losses last pm ,
hit.gif
what is so bad we were home didn't see or hear a thing .
idunno.gif
Can't even find sign of chickens they just disappeared, no feathers, no carcasses. The first one was lost between 4-5pm. He didn't come in for dinner ( strange for him). We should have put everyone in their runs at that time but we didn't , we lost 3- 8 week packing peanuts , 2 pol orp hens , 8 week orp roo we were growing for my orp hens . Also have 1 minor injury pol hen. I suspect either a fox with kits or a couple of coyotes we have seen both lately.
Got in touch with a friend about getting an orp roo this am as my other hens are pol & we are working toward a sustainable closed flock.
big_smile.png
Some of ya'll know him Terry. We had gotten 4 hens from him in the very begining to expand bloodlines. Boy his are much bigger than my hatchery stock.
clap.gif
He does show his stock he had a roo that was 6 time grand national that was the biggest chicken I have ever seen in my life. Got some work to do now with building a quarentine pen for the roo. He is npip & an usda inspector so I feel really good about picking up this roo even though I had wanted to maintain a closed flock.
Everyone is on lockdown in their runs this am they will be able to come out for some free ranging when we are out there with them. I can't handle loosing any more.
th.gif
got the 1 injured in a crate she has a minor scrape wound mid chest to wing . Pretty sure she will recover. Gonna take her back out to run to be around her chicken friends or at least see them in a little while.
smile.png
I think she will do better than in the house with the barking dogs.

i'm checing in. Havent been here much as I've been very busy. I lost 1 of my chicks this past week, 1 of my larger guys got beat up by the others and died and my Banjo got only what i can figure was wryneck and aspirated water and died. I discovered on Wednesday night that my rabbit had kits again, she had been seperated from my buck since mid july so my guess is that they did the deed right after she gave birth last time. There were 6 and 3 have died and she has been moved back outside with the remaining 3 in a make shift nest box. I had my surgery yesterday morning which from what they tell me went well. We shall see what the results are in a few weeks. Was just glad to have all the packing removed from my nose this morning. I'm very tired since I didn't sleep last night. I just slept for about 3 hours and am ready to lay back down but something in me wants to go out and sit in my chair with my birds. We'll see which urge wins....sleep or chicken watching.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the weather. As some of you know, my husband lives and works in Maryland and survived the earthquake of 2011 and is now preparing for Irene. He works on the water up there, so we can only assume, once she goes through, he will be super busy which might delay his next trip home. I take what I can get!!! Stay safe everyone, the urge to sleep is winning. Maybe chicken watching will happen tomorrow.

So, today I found out my Pointed White Mini Lop is not a doe, but a buck with a split... uh... organ....
cool.png
and is now for sale for $25, he's really sweet and is better handled by older children and sitting on laps (in the morning he does come to the front of the cage when I feed him), he also gets over excited going into his cage and kicks to get in... thus causing large scratches. Found that out today
hmm.png
I took him over to my grandmothers and he was pulled out several times to be petted by kids and did well, until it was time to put him up for the last time and he got me with a 6 inch scratch from my elbow half way down my arm... didn't bring any gushing blood, just enough to sting for a while. I will be de-worming him this weekend (got to stop at TSC), I would give him the stuff to prevent Coccidia but do not have any. I will still be taking him to the fair, and he will be available there....

Quote:
Sorry for your loss... Fox WITH KITS is impossible. Foxes stick to a strict breeding cycle and kits are grown for this year. The injury... alot of clues there. Can you take pics? Describe? Both foxes and coyotes will attack so fast and be so swift the birds don't even realize sometimes that it happened (therefor not "go off"). Another thing is one fox can and will take more than one bird per attack. I'll try to find the fox experts I contacted and learned all this from... I'll post when I find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom