Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really excited, one of my SL wyandottes went broody... def wasn't expecting that! She's on I think 9 eggs, not really sure.. I'm afraid to move her until my incubator is empty, but until then there is another hen that is still laying in the same box. I may just move the other chickens from the run, since there are only 5 total.

On another note, the little ameraucana roo I got from tennesseeckn is doing well, he is sooo socialized and cute as a button! I just want to pick him up and hold him
tongue.png
he is soo sweet!

RAIN!!! YAY! My garden was fertilized this morning and now just waiting for it to dry up from the rain we are getting tonight and then we'll start seeding and planting
wee.gif
this is my first garden and I'm so glad my neighbor (DH's cousin) is going in on it as well. I'm going to try to clean chicken coops soon as well, I've been kinda lazy and I don't really want the bugs to start getting bad. Anyway, my classes end on May 3 so thats going to be a big relief... I may acctually be able to sit down and focus on my knitting!

hit.gif
first hatch was a bust. Broody moved to another nest when they did not hatch. I broke the eggs and some were rotten. We had a few issues like broken eggs in nest so I was not real hopeful on them hatching.

Good news is that second broody is staying with it no bad or broken eggs there. New nest that first is now sitting on is larger than her last.
fl.gif
Lets pray we get chicks we need them bad.

Wishing you luck, for sure!!

Cybercat, do you candle your broody's eggs? I usually go in after dark and candle mine just to make sure no one has any icky issues developing. Especially if she has a lot of eggs! That helps make sure one bad egg doesn't contaminate the others.

I have a broody with 6 2-week old chicks. Another broody hatched 6, but let one die. So I took her babies away and gave them to the good mom, who was happy to take them. Broody 2 will only be used as a bator from now on. Broody 1 looked adorable as she carefully kept the new 5 warm as her older 6 ran around her like little satellites.

I haven't gotten my entry form for the show on May 7th. As soon as I do I'd be happy to scan it and send it to anyone who isn't on the mailing list already!

well very soon, ill need to get or make a new incubator, at least just to separate quail eggs into. soon will be over run with chickens, so will need to make some tough choices on who is staying and selling, going, or going to be food. guess this puts a damper on getting the rosecomb and serama next, but would be alot easier in coops, maybe even stackable cages lined up (???), than just egg laying birds allowed to run all over in backyard pen. got 13 dutch bantam eggs for a friend, so heres hoping there is a huge hatch from them all being at least fertile (unlike last batch that were not good, in every way), so i can keep three to five pullets, and a cockerel.
sadly had to feed off my only, right now, quail chick, as it apparently messed up a leg jumping running smashing into clear sides of tank, or falling , and was spending most of time laying on back or side saddle. poor little spaz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom