Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tennesseeckn.....I have decided after talking to a lot of people that my problem is indeed too low humidity. I was running it around 50-55%. SO..will bump it up a bit..had to do it tonight though...kept hearing a peep and went over to check H in incubator....and an egg was zipping!!
ep.gif
I had forgotten the 6 OE and EE eggs a friend had given me and tomorrow was their hatch date! So..had to move the other 5 to the LG. I had problems with my LG and bought a fan for it on Ebay for 16.00 included shipping. I finally got it to regulate but you still have to really work on the humidity. The funny thing though is these eggs have not been over 45% and this chick hatched...oh and another quail...with no problems and very clean. I don't understand. Maybe I should ignore all my eggs.
idunno.gif
Or Mother Nature is still playing with me. Anyway...work on regulating your LG when it is empty but remember it may need some adjustments when you put eggs in. Good luck!!

Tennesseeckn - Thank you for the Americauan rooster, he is so sweet! We weren't sure where we were going to put him, so DH said lets try the SLW pen... well he kept getting grabbed by the SLW rooster (which is blind now in one eye from the EE rooster that beat the crap out of him, thus me needing a new EE rooster. I am so mad at that darn chicken!) and DH was squating near the run door and the lil rooster just jumped into his arms as if to say "save me" so DH and I put him with the smaller chicks and set him up in a XL dog kennel for now. He really didn't seem to mind the smaller chicks and never pecked one but they were less than half his size so we didn't want to risk it (the chicks are all pullets I bought from LC which weren't cheap). Acctually so far I see one lil EE rooster in there, kinda makes a person mad when they paid more than 3 dollars for a "sexed" chick to get a rooster huh?

Oh, I'm glad you didn't leave him with the SLW. Sounds like he would have gotten his tail thumped. I'll bet he'll be fine in the kennel for a while till he gets his bearings. I'd say he'd do fine with your little ones, too. His pen here was right next to my little ones. There was only chicken wire separating them. Fat Albert (my jerk of an EE) was always posturing at them, trying to get a rise, but the Ameraucanas never even seemed to notice. They never fought with each other either. I hope he works out for you and gives you pretty babies. I'm glad he got a good home with people that are looking out for him. I'll let my daughter know. She's going to miss him, even though we still have his brother.​

Quote:
Do you think the fan helps? I read that it's easier to keep up your humidity in a still air.

I let my humidity fall to 55% and my last chick had a really hard time getting out. It zipped around the middle of the egg, so I don't think it was able to wiggle very well. It's all healed, no blood, and seems to be fluffing just fine. It confirms my suspicions that 60% is the way to go. Now if only the LG will cooperate...

My incubator is a Brinsea and does everything automatically. If I weren't such a tightwad I would invest in another one to use as a hatcher. I also thought the Brinsea employees were horrible to work with when my turner broke less than thirty days after I got it.

Good Luck with your OE's and EE's. I'd love to see pictures.

when is the cocke county show? I came a couple years ago and since I am raising chickens for friends I may have extra roosters I need to rehome. Most come from show stock so hopefully they won't be too hard to rehome. Granted I don't know how many I have since they range from 1 day to 6 weeks now but I will find out soon enough! I think it is in May sometime!

Whitney

started misting my quail eggs in by my chicken eggs, and one hatched late last night to early this morn. now i need to set up a tiny brooder, or just put in huge warm terrarium with baby iguana (they can eat all the tiny bugs?). think even my bantam chicks would gobble them up.

anyone know if black silkie hens or bantams would get along with game hens in a large penned yard, or if roosters specifically if no hens to be found, could be kept with three others fine, or if they crow loud, high pitched, or alot? my neighbor has rooster farm, so his roosters get mine going early, which i love, but seems to be overdone. seen a cheap nice bantam hen im kicking myself for not getting at chance, then later was gone.

Quote:
Usually means Dear Husband... and such... the D is interchangable
wink.png
with other D words. DW means the same cept W is wife...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom