Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Glad to hear they are going good. Did you get chicks? When we get back from the beach. We will finish our run. Then go to their farm and get the Hens I want. Hope they got all the different pullets we want.

Last edited:
so now in addition to the dutch eggs, someone who works for the complex is going to give me some seeming by said height, A class serama eggs he keeps and shows! so now all i need is rosecombs, or to breed out from the one roo i have (any ideas as to how to cross best to bring out traits of my mail, with OEGB, dutch, and serama?). mad science is upon us!!! now to just figure out what weird red stuff is, if its rust spreading, mold, or bacterial colony. just odd its infesting certain spots and spreading after, i cleaned out bator good.

oh yeah, my ND buckling died, and collie is so sad, i might have to look for two pygmies if he doesnt snap out of it... good excuse, or just baaaaad idea last one died last night)???

Quote:
I'm still new to all this. I wonder how much laying Hens will cost me. Will some breads be higher? I'm looking at Road Island reds, White Leghorn, Dominique, Speckled Sussex, and now thinking of a colored egg layer. But Don't know which one to get. We also plan on getting about 4 Guineas to turn loose. To eat bugs ans ticks. My DH also wants a Turkey. We do have 2 chicks right now. One was gave to us. I do think it is a Dominique. Hope its a HEN! Felt sorry for it being alone. So I bought a Red sex-link pullet from TSC. They are both doing great. Poultry Hollow has all those breeds listed. That why I thought I would give them a try. They are not far from us. Also thought my son would enjoy going to their farm.

Quote:
I'm still new to all this. I wonder how much laying Hens will cost me. Will some breads be higher? I'm looking at Road Island reds, White Leghorn, Dominique, Speckled Sussex, and now thinking of a colored egg layer. But Don't know which one to get. We also plan on getting about 4 Guineas to turn loose. To eat bugs ans ticks. My DH also wants a Turkey. We do have 2 chicks right now. One was gave to us. I do think it is a Dominique. Hope its a HEN! Felt sorry for it being alone. So I bought a Red sex-link pullet from TSC. They are both doing great. Poultry Hollow has all those breeds listed. That why I thought I would give them a try. They are not far from us. Also thought my son would enjoy going to their farm.

I can tell you from everything I've heard...Turkeys are a real hand full. My future father in-law tried again this year and ordered (14) day olds. He lost 6 of them and the rest are a lot of work it seems.

As far as hens go, there are as many different opinions as there are breeds. Out of the ones I have owned I can say that the New Hamphire Reds have been by far the most docile and friendly. They are also good egg layers and are fairly good moms. All of my NHR'S come running to me to be held every time they see me. It's funny...they wait in line so I can hold each of them for a minute a piece.
As far as looks go....I really like both my Spotted Sussix and the Gold laced wyans. The Gold laced are my most independent by far and dont want to be touched, but they are not aggressive or loud (thank goodness)
Remember though that we picked our breeds for several reasons that may not apply to you. 1- we only wanted brown layers, 2- we wanted dual purpose birds so we can take the ones not laying any longer and any extra roosters we got from a straight pull to the table, and 3-we wanted birds that are cold hardy and have a good chance of laying through the winter.

As for price for laying hens, that will vary widely depending on how many people are around you that are raising them and mainly luck. I would expect to pay between 10 and 15 for a 20-30 week old common breed hen at the show or poultry hollow if they happen to have any. But yet you may run into someone giving up the hobby or thinning their flock and get them for nearly nothing. Keep an eye on craigs list. YOU WILL PAY MORE FOR CERTAIN BREEDS...especially if you want to show and/or get into the fancy breeds more as a hobby than for the eggs. Out of the breeds you mentioned, they are all common and near the bottom of most price points with the exception of the colored egg layer which you can expect to pay roughly 20-50% more for. I hope that helps a bit...remember that is only my pers. opinion from experience with the breeds that I own.
smile.png

Quote:

I can tell you from everything I've heard...Turkeys are a real hand full. My future father in-law tried again this year and ordered (14) day olds. He lost 6 of them and the rest are a lot of work it seems.

As far as hens go, there are as many different opinions as there are breeds. Out of the ones I have owned I can say that the New Hamphire Reds have been by far the most docile and friendly. They are also good egg layers and are fairly good moms. All of my NHR'S come running to me to be held every time they see me. It's funny...they wait in line so I can hold each of them for a minute a piece.
As far as looks go....I really like both my Spotted Sussix and the Gold laced wyans. The Gold laced are my most independent by far and dont want to be touched, but they are not aggressive or loud (thank goodness)
Remember though that we picked our breeds for several reasons that may not apply to you. 1- we only wanted brown layers, 2- we wanted dual purpose birds so we can take the ones not laying any longer and any extra roosters we got from a straight pull to the table, and 3-we wanted birds that are cold hardy and have a good chance of laying through the winter.

As for price for laying hens, that will vary widely depending on how many people are around you that are raising them and mainly luck. I would expect to pay between 10 and 15 for a 20-30 week old common breed hen at the show or poultry hollow if they happen to have any. But yet you may run into someone giving up the hobby or thinning their flock and get them for nearly nothing. Keep an eye on craigs list. YOU WILL PAY MORE FOR CERTAIN BREEDS...especially if you want to show and/or get into the fancy breeds more as a hobby than for the eggs. Out of the breeds you mentioned, they are all common and near the bottom of most price points with the exception of the colored egg layer which you can expect to pay roughly 20-50% more for. I hope that helps a bit...remember that is only my pers. opinion from experience with the breeds that I own.
smile.png

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me. We really just want laying Hens. We too wanted birds that are cold hardy and have a good chance of laying through the winter. No roosters. White and brown layers. Thought the speckled sussex was so pretty. I just had to add it to the mix. We have a 4 year old son. So I thought he would like having a blue/green egg layer. He really likes the chicks we have now. Always willing and ready to help me clean their box and help me feed them. Thanks for the information you gave me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom