Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Escape has taken place.

Half my pullets dug under the wire, were running around naked in my back yard, and were doing chicken shenanigans in front of the neighbors , as they were working their garden.

I called them and the shameless fowl just giggled like school girls and headed for a honey suckle thicket as fast as their yellow little feet would carry them.

The ones in the run were no help.

In their avian language they urged the vagabonds on with cries of "Power to the Poultry" and "Let My Chickens Go".

This weekend the 8X8 coop will be finished to the point that they will have more permanent dwelling and confinement.

yuckyuck.gif
Have fun catching them!!

The Great Escape has taken place.

Half my pullets dug under the wire, were running around naked in my back yard, and were doing chicken shenanigans in front of the neighbors , as they were working their garden.

I called them and the shameless fowl just giggled like school girls and headed for a honey suckle thicket as fast as their yellow little feet would carry them.

The ones in the run were no help.

In their avian language they urged the vagabonds on with cries of "Power to the Poultry" and "Let My Chickens Go".

This weekend the 8X8 coop will be finished to the point that they will have more permanent dwelling and confinement.

yuckyuck.gif
In a "laugh so you don't cry sort of way".

I had a broody failure today. I isolated my two broody Wyandottes who were sharing a nesting box (converted fruit crate). Tonight I went in and found two fluffy chicks laying stiff in the shavings. One was still breathing and I put it under one of the broodies, hoping to warm it back up. The other was gone. :( The rest of the eggs haven't hatched, yet.

So, do I go back out and bring the barely breathing one and put in under a lamp? Do I leave the other eggs and hope they do better or should I take them and stick them in the bator?

It's my Wyandotte curse. It was Wyandotte eggs that I left unplugged overnight and lost every single one. I've had major fertility issues. I don't know that I'll ever have a chick besides the obviously male one in the brooder.
he.gif

I thought a broody would be fool-proof!!!

I had a broody failure today. I isolated my two broody Wyandottes who were sharing a nesting box (converted fruit crate). Tonight I went in and found two fluffy chicks laying stiff in the shavings. One was still breathing and I put it under one of the broodies, hoping to warm it back up. The other was gone. :( The rest of the eggs haven't hatched, yet.

So, do I go back out and bring the barely breathing one and put in under a lamp? Do I leave the other eggs and hope they do better or should I take them and stick them in the bator?

It's my Wyandotte curse. It was Wyandotte eggs that I left unplugged overnight and lost every single one. I've had major fertility issues. I don't know that I'll ever have a chick besides the obviously male one in the brooder.
he.gif

Thats a tough decision. Knowing me though, I would probably do the heat lamp and fire up the bator. If it were not going to be so wet and cold the next few days, then maybe not...hard to say

Last edited:

he.gif

Oh no!
sad.png
That isn't good! I would have thought the same thing, but I've had a Wyandotte and she hatched them and then didn't take care of them and they all got cold. I didn't have a fertility issue though, you sure the rooster is mating them all?

LOL. I refuse to chase them and they know it. The girls use to get so worried about them. The chickens know where they live and they will head that way as sunset approaches, I just go out and shut the gate behind them. If they ever escape and see a predator then they usually learn their lesson. Its like me sticking my finger in an outlet when I was a kid.....parents let me do it, I only did it once LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom