Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnqueen.....how are the Ameraucana eggs doing?? I got a new brooder section built in the hen house that is huge :)

I lost the blue (what we think) was a Marans. Unknown cause. The other two are doing great though.

PS..did you try to call the other day? I thought I saw a missed call but no voicemail

Last edited:
Wanting to set some more SFH eggs.... anyone want to get on board for the excess chicks that most likely will hatch? I'm thinking I will set a handful. They hatched out 100% last time and I'm eager to set some more, but don't need but just a few more chicks, so anything extra will be sold.

Interested, holla

I got to get pictures to share with ya'll tommorrow... The first round is feathering out and one is getting a crest. It's that funny stage that looks like the chick has gel in it's "doo" lol!

Hey guys! Got home a couple hours ago from Oneida, we were out there camping
smile.png
We stayed at the Big South Fork park in the Bandy Creek Campground. Lets just say it was awesome to get out and see what true "darkness" is! We had a campfire and stayed in a tent, we had a lot of fun for the hubby's b-day. Only problem was we left home without a lot of stuff, luckily there was a walmart on the way through the main road before hitting the back hairpin roads. Didn't see any bears, saw a fox and a deer though... We hiked a trail this morning and had a lot of fun in the rocks, I will post some photos as soon as I get a chance...

I think I will be glad when I get the meaties in the fridge, they are so bothersome... and eat way too much (on a good note looks to be mostly roosters which get bigger faster!)

I have eggs from TNbarnqueen going to lockdown Weds or Thurs... I have to candle them again to see how many look to be developing!
Hope you get a good hatch!!! East Fork is a wonderful place to camp too. They have something going on every nite in the way of entertainment. Great trails for either riding or hiking. If you ever get to come up this way...or going towards Asheville there is a place called Harmons Den. It is right as you get into NC. The camping and trails are some of the best you could find in this area. It would be well worth your drive.
Keep us posted on the hatch!!

Barnqueen.....how are the Ameraucana eggs doing?? I got a new brooder section built in the hen house that is huge :)

I lost the blue (what we think) was a Marans. Unknown cause. The other two are doing great though.

PS..did you try to call the other day? I thought I saw a missed call but no voicemail
I am going to candle them tonight. There where 2 that did not develop and a couple more with question marks.
I would say the blue one was the one that was in the egg pipped so long so it may have been a little weaker.
Sorry,...I dialed your number by mistake...did not have my glasses on. Hey...I have an idea to throw at ya....will PM you.
Glad you have a huge brooder..since this looks like you may have babies to fill it.
fl.gif
Want to build mine?
clap.gif
JUST kidding. I hope my DH goes back to days soon!
I am going to try and see if my friend will let me borrow her lav. ameraucana while she is recooping from surgery. Keeping fingers crossed!!!

I just picked up some free leaf mulch from a local town that stores a huge pile of it. You make a very good point about the bugs. If I end up pulling in any unwanted I hope the ducks will take care of them. And another thing to be aware of is additional weed seed. I know I've introduced a few new varieties of plants by using horse manure.
Yep....people do not understand that horse manure...even seasoned...holds any seeds that they ate from the hay and grass. These do not digest in their gut so it goes into the poop. One thing you can do is make manure tea with it to water your plants...works great! Chicken, rabbit and especially Llama manure is excellent for gardens!

Yep....people do not understand that horse manure...even seasoned...holds any seeds that they ate from the hay and grass. These do not digest in their gut so it goes into the poop. One thing you can do is make manure tea with it to water your plants...works great! Chicken, rabbit and especially Llama manure is excellent for gardens!

I brew chicken poo tea... it does work wonders on grass especially. On veggie you eat raw, it's warned that samonilla can be passed that way. Personally, I'm not that much of a worry-wart, but it has to be said so no one can say I didn't warn them.

Barnqueen. I have that big floor brooder I built if you need it. It works really well in cooler weather in the chicken house. The thing I dont like about it is you dont see too much of the chicks until they start peeking out after about a week. You have to get down on the ground and look under the thing to check on them, LOL. But the design was a scaled down plan from the commercial market in the 1940's and was meant to operate in any weather in the hen house. Im not going to do anything more with it because of the redesign of my hen house if you need it. (its heavy...3/4 plywood with a metal top) made to sit semi perm in the hen house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom