Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Bairo
I have several different breeds. I have Lavender Orps,Lemon Orps,Delawares,EE'S, and now OE. I also have silver gray dorking eggs that are in my incubator from Texas and some Wheaten Marans eggs that are cottage hill line from Georgia also in the incubator. I have 2 turkens and 2 crele polish hens. I also have some BLRW chicks that are 3 weeks old. I like the idea of having several different breeds. I am actually about to seperate every one out by breed. I have just constructed 8 10x100ft runs. I will be selling off some later as they get bigger so I am not overrun. I plan on keeping 5 hens and the best roo from each breed. My favorite out of all is the EE's becasue mine are so docile and like to be held. Oh yeah and I have 2 coral guineas and 5 pearl guineas that are 10 weeks old. Whew..... I got alot of chickens!

@ Bairo
I have several different breeds. I have Lavender Orps,Lemon Orps,Delawares,EE'S, and now OE. I also have silver gray dorking eggs that are in my incubator from Texas and some Wheaten Marans eggs that are cottage hill line from Georgia also in the incubator. I have 2 turkens and 2 crele polish hens. I also have some BLRW chicks that are 3 weeks old. I like the idea of having several different breeds. I am actually about to seperate every one out by breed. I have just constructed 8 10x100ft runs. I will be selling off some later as they get bigger so I am not overrun. I plan on keeping 5 hens and the best roo from each breed. My favorite out of all is the EE's becasue mine are so docile and like to be held. Oh yeah and I have 2 coral guineas and 5 pearl guineas that are 10 weeks old. Whew..... I got alot of chickens!
And I thought I had too many woman around the house....
hide.gif

I did mine outside, I used parafin wax in a big pot of hot water and waxed the feathers off! Plucked the remaining stuff off because I didn't use enough wax.

When we lived on the Eastern Shore of Md., back in the mid 80's there were two elderly sisters that would pluck and clean geese a buck a piece and ducks 50 cents apiece.

They had a dry plucker that looked something like this...

After plucking they got to keep the down and feathers.

For a buck, it was a good deal and my wife was happy and I got a goose dinner.

When we lived on the Eastern Shore of Md., back in the mid 80's there were two elderly sisters that would pluck and clean geese a buck a piece and ducks 50 cents apiece.

I lived in Western MD at the same time. I never ran into anyone there with chickens, let alone a plucker! LOL!!!!

I hope everyone is doing well. Just popped in to check up on things. I'll dig in deeper later, but saw a few pictures. I may try to get some up of my birds growing out. Got some SFHs growing and some Sulmtalers... and some bantam Barnevelders of my own too. That's about it. I'm focusing on them and not really "working" on the rest. I may be talked out of any and all bantams. Not actively selling them, but not working with them either. My job has changed, thus my schedule, thus my life.... so showing will not happen. That is a given right now. So I'm focusing on the breeds that are for me and my own consumption.

Anyways... I'm about to ramble. Just wanted to say hello and check in.

Really neat! I tried having the hubby make a plucker with the use of a drill, it worked but unfortunately the broilers thin skin wasn't tough enough to take the beating the drill gave, then my "fingers" which were actually cut up pieces of rubber strap downs, would fly out of there drilled holes. I ended up just hand plucking all chickens. I've never had goose or duck, but have a duck in the freezer.
tongue.png

Thanks all for the votes of support for the family situation, I guess I'm not used to someone disliking me for such stupid reasons. I really appreciate having such a close group that I can count on for friends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom