Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks, she is just starting to lay, and let her go broody on big clutch as she stopped letting me tke to eat and incubate, and hatch rate with all incubator troubles was terrible, as got two of their chicks out of dozens to term to hatch.

Quote:
Not always. I have had a sebright get scared to see chicks and peck them to death (I saved three of the four) and I currently have a BR who is breaking and flattening eggs in the last 3-4 days of incubation and killing the babies. I got one egg in the incubator now that is squished but the baby is moving... so I have some hope.

I have another broody who isn't even on eggs. She is on PVC and when I pull her off and put her up for the night she fusses but as soon as you let her out she runs back to her spot with PVC laying there. I moved the PVC tonight. Let's see what she does tommarrow.

this game hen is young too. funny the one hen went nice once went broody and started laying, and others got skiddish when started laying and now testy when broody.. will a hen start laying right away if she just started brooding, and i take her eggs away?

Quote:
I dont know since i'm so new at this, but i'm under the impression that they turn the eggs themselves. So there should be no need to do it for her. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me!!

anyone else amused by the fact that as vet assistant i would handle dogs that have killed people (military, police, security etc), and had no troubles or fear, but now am slightly still jumpy when attacked by broody hens??? its still just so darn surprising and am telling them you dont bite me, i bite you, as your going to be my dinner if you dont stop (even when i try to clean around them in nests/coop, so poop is slightly bad as not cleaning two to three times daily)... ill eat you, dont think i wont! lol

Leave the broodies alone they will be fine. You will not see them turn there eggs unless you are watching 24/7. If you mess with a broody too much they can stop on you and leave the nest. They need solitude. They will eat and drink when hungry and turn eggs when needed.

here are the two Ameraucana's, in Benton, TN

86147_100_2938.jpg

86147_100_2936.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom