Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mini Lops
I figured as far as the colors went, the self blue and all the blacks are very usable if I find a NICE rooster to put with them to improve overall type. They're too young right now to tell... the funny colored ones may be the first to go then, what do you think of the roosters? one looks only mottled, the other looks messed up beyond recognized color and type is awful (can't tell it in the photos but doesn't look pure cochin bantam to me)...

Mini Lops
I figured as far as the colors went, the self blue and all the blacks are very usable if I find a NICE rooster to put with them to improve overall type. They're too young right now to tell... the funny colored ones may be the first to go then, what do you think of the roosters? one looks only mottled, the other looks messed up beyond recognized color and type is awful (can't tell it in the photos but doesn't look pure cochin bantam to me).
I really like the roo eating. As for the other, he is rather different, in a weird way but don't want to jump to judgement with only a couple of pics
hmm.png
. I do love the two girls with brown (mille or calico maybe), they look to have pretty good type (but I'm by far any kind of expert).

You could post some pics on the mille fleur cochin thread =https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/228613/mille-cochin-info or the cochin thread = https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/195235/cochin-thread and get their opinions.

Hey Stang... you don't know anyone who eats their rabbits, do you? My brother wants to get into meat rabbits and wants to know if he can do the deed before he buys some to breed. I want NOTHING to do with it and I think if he was to help someone butcher theirs he would change his mind (and shut up about it).

Hey Stang... you don't know anyone who eats their rabbits, do you? My brother wants to get into meat rabbits and wants to know if he can do the deed before he buys some to breed. I want NOTHING to do with it and I think if he was to help someone butcher theirs he would change his mind (and shut up about it).
Uh, all my friends butcher their rabbits if they can't sale them or they have any genetic/health problem that needs to be removed from their herd. I wish I had known... I had a rabbit I butchered recently... I guess tell him to get some fryers from someone, like a breeding pair and get an extra to do the deed on... I'll show him if he comes out to get the pond stuff
wink.png
I don't know anyone personally who raises meat rabbits, I'm on the fence of getting a meat breed because I think they're cheaper to feed than chickens but according to my husband there isn't enough meat for his liking!
roll.png
I think skinning a rabbit and using the pelt is much more time saving than plucking a bird and throwing the feathers every where... I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion?

Uh, all my friends butcher their rabbits if they can't sale them or they have any genetic/health problem that needs to be removed from their herd. I wish I had known... I had a rabbit I butchered recently... I guess tell him to get some fryers from someone, like a breeding pair and get an extra to do the deed on... I'll show him if he comes out to get the pond stuff
wink.png
I don't know anyone personally who raises meat rabbits, I'm on the fence of getting a meat breed because I think they're cheaper to feed than chickens but according to my husband there isn't enough meat for his liking!
roll.png
I think skinning a rabbit and using the pelt is much more time saving than plucking a bird and throwing the feathers every where... I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion?

You got a point about the pelt and feathers but I just don't see a rabbit as food. Now, I do look at chickens and lick my lips. Seriously.

I'll let him know (and that will also push him to a answer on the pond - he tends to think and think and think and think about things, so bear with him. if he didn't want it, it would be a quick no) about the bonus of learning a rabbit first hand if he gets the pond. lol. "Pond for sale, and when you pick it up, I'll show you how to dispatch a rabbit for free!" LMAO

Thanks StacyTN, I try to stay away from other threads... I have been on this site long enough to know, the best people to talk to are locals.. I do not get along well with others, and I have had some very nasty remarks made to me over stupid stuff and/or just been totally over looked after several attempts for help.. Every time I venture any further than this forum I become disappointed in our society and their acceptance of others and the fact there are still people who seek knowledge and have had the wrong people leading them wanting an answer, just to be snubbed by the "experts"... don't worry though, BYC is not the only place this has happened, it seems on my rabbit groups (most of which I removed from my FB page) treat others the same way. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm uncomfortable after how I've been treated before for not having their knowledge of the breed, what kind of snide remarks I might get. Maybe I'm wrong and they won't treat me that way, but I've seen it too often and do not put myself in that position to be looked down upon.

You got a point about the pelt and feathers but I just don't see a rabbit as food. Now, I do look at chickens and lick my lips. Seriously.

I'll let him know (and that will also push him to a answer on the pond - he tends to think and think and think and think about things, so bear with him. if he didn't want it, it would be a quick no) about the bonus of learning a rabbit first hand if he gets the pond. lol. "Pond for sale, and when you pick it up, I'll show you how to dispatch a rabbit for free!" LMAO
thumbsup.gif

Thanks StacyTN, I try to stay away from other threads... I have been on this site long enough to know, the best people to talk to are locals.. I do not get along well with others, and I have had some very nasty remarks made to me over stupid stuff and/or just been totally over looked after several attempts for help.. Every time I venture any further than this forum I become disappointed in our society and their acceptance of others and the fact there are still people who seek knowledge and have had the wrong people leading them wanting an answer, just to be snubbed by the "experts"... don't worry though, BYC is not the only place this has happened, it seems on my rabbit groups (most of which I removed from my FB page) treat others the same way. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm uncomfortable after how I've been treated before for not having their knowledge of the breed, what kind of snide remarks I might get. Maybe I'm wrong and they won't treat me that way, but I've seen it too often and do not put myself in that position to be looked down upon.
TIMES TWO!!!! AMEN!!!

Very, very true and it turned me off from breeding certain breeds that will go un-named because I would hate to get in trouble with the BYC gods again. LMAO

agree with you on that supjuct. I've just started into chickens this year and had some people act like I should know everything already. They acted like it was such a big deal to answer questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom