Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any slw pullets?

I bought some good quality eggs off eBay and hatched 3 Roos (of course). If anyone needs a slw roo pm me
wink.png

If anyone is looking for some bantam Cochin pullets I have some available. They're not breeding quality - just for backyard eye candy.

Quote:
Yeah, I know who Randy and Bill both are. I got Bill Braden's line here too... I kinda suspected it... the yellow legs on his are the best legs I have ever seen from any Dels. And I have seen ALOT of lines. I would safely put Bill Braden's Dels as some of the best to be found.

Quote:
Awww, is that the chunk? It's hard to tell from the angle. You take fantastic photos. I want a real camera when I grow up... also the ability to use it...

Thought someone else might be interested in this idea..... Am finishing the new coop and have enough of {always on} and up high winter ventilation. I still want and need more in the spring, summer, and fall that I can shut off if it gets cold though. I also want alot more air movement down low when the temps are way up also, since my two windows and other vents are high to avoid animal intrusions and cold cross drafts at chicken level. That set up keeps is vented 4 feet above the hens just fine but in these sweltering temps it is nearly a 100 down on the floor in the middle of the day (of course they are out then, but will be going in to lay)
I am pretty lazy and don't want to monitor the temp 24/7 and trek out there during those warm days and cold nights we get in the spring and fall either, hence my stress.
Ahhh necessity is the mother of invention though
smile.png

I was walking around Lowes thinking about this when it suddenly occurred to me that I could use several automatic foundation/crawl space vents. I had forgotten that these close automatically when the temp hits about 40 and open again about 70. They are about 70 sq. inches each and under 20.00 I will just buy one a week until I get several.

Did not mean to ramble, but thought someone else may want to use this idea as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
Already beat you to it! LOL! Only I used it on my goat's house... which is now a hen house. Yes, I am so addicted that I gave my goats to a goat person so I could have more chickens. Ok, that wasn't the whole reason, but it did motivate me.

Those vents work out pretty good. Ask around. I got mine for free. Doesn't hurt to ask!!!

@georgialee, any pics of the bantam cochin pullets (i have one i think, from local, that thought both were cockrels)? i think heathero617 (if i put the last part right), might be looking for one at least, if any strike her fancy.

Last edited:
How is everyone doing with this heat and dry spell? We need a little bit of rain now. Ground is dusting out and fruit ofn trees are not developing. Not too mention poor chickens eating dry grass seeds and living in woods to stay cool. But good thing is they still are producing.

My husband, kids, and I are coming to East TN this weekend for a tractor (antique) auction in Erwin (close to Johnson City). That's is East TN, correct? We will be driving up leisurely on Friday along 26/23/19 from Asheville (we're from SC). Do you guys have any suggestions for really fun things to do/see while we're here? We always like to explore things off the beaten path.

Three of my four free ranging cockerels are missing. There's a pile of feathers by the coop, but no other trace. I let them out at 6:00 and they were gone by 10 when I went back down to check waterers. I would think that they just went WAY back into the woods to get cool if it weren't for the pile of feathers. I really hope I am overreacting here. They are not answering the two roosters in the coop, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom