Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with all that has happened I am going to be looking for some more chickens to rebuild the flock. I want to try breeding an "olive egger". I have been told that one would breed a true blue egg layer with a Black Copper Maran. I have Aracuana and Ameracaunas. One Wheaten Ameracuana Rooster. One question is to whom must be bred, a Black Copper Maran Rooster to a blue egg layer, or the Wheaten Ameracuana Roo to the Black Copper Maran? Also anyone know of anywhere I can find the Black Copper Maran? I have checked Craigslist, but no luck.

Everyone enjoy yesterdays rain? We needed it bad here.

I just counted roos in those I hatched so far I only see 5. Which is perfect for us. I hope that holds for next hatch.

Was so glad it rained my garden was starting to turn yellow beans were looking frightful. The cooler temps 2 day a welcome releif. My 14 weekers are loving it. Just got a bunch new fluffy butts this am 6 buff brahmas 1 is a roo, 1 buff orpington roo, 9 red packing peanuts have no idea what they are. I am so loving it not so hot hopefully can get some garden stuff done 2 day.
smile.png

Quote:
Why does it have to be a BCM? Why not a Wheaton Maran? Or any other Maran for that matter? My wheatons lay #9 dark eggs. Just sayin'.... I'm not into "olive eggers" so I never done the homework. Is there some reason to do BCM or is that just the most popular?

so supposedly someone called the health department on me and they said to manager it was illegal to have any kind of poultry within city limmits, which is not what the law was changed to this year, but should i bother to try to fight it and whoever, or just hide them up on balcony and in appartment secret squirel? manager said didnt care as was good teneant all around and never recieved any complaints. so might have to rehome some chickens..
sad.png
should have got to building up balcony pens, and kept inside when was gone... neighbors all said thought great though odd and wanted eggs, just one that moved a while ago said she would rather have all the bugs than chickens (this place was infested with pests when moved in, and still were chickens cant get to), but gladly took produce of eggs and fruit from chickens and their fertilizer. plus i have to now sill put up with everyone elses annoyances like dogs and recreational vehickles all over makinf noise and destroying things at all hours as well as the late night/ealy morning drunken yelling and laughing, and odd no one called anyone on them. also the two rooster farms right across from me i bet got no such notice (were all the roosters were coming from, so assumed no one would care about my hens and maybe some roosters). there are game cock farms with huge fields with cocks cord leg tied to barrel, bucket an A frame make shift single conditioning confinements to train for fighting and they are right around or off down town also... !!! but bantam hens to get some eggs and muse me are a big no no.

*SIGH*

Quote:
Are you IN Knoxville? If so you are only allowed up to 6 hens... no roos. If the cockfighter types are a problem then it's possible that the city is going to be hard on you too so they don't get a law suit from the cockers for discrimination.

Personally, I would fight it... but that is my personality. I'm not sure it's the best advice... lol... I just don't take anything lying down.

n, actually im in a part of morristown TN and its zoned for agriculture (well might be few feet from my pen and several from my apartment building), and we have cops everywere, but they watch the cockfights and dont seem to care.. so why im getting in trouble and they might still not be (as i heard hardly, then non for small amount of time, now roosters increasing again). just odd as i just yesterday talked to the humane sosciety that said legally you have to have them a hundred feet from another dwelling or property to avoid complaints that have to be answered, but that is not enforced, my manager doesnt care, the cops i asked them to look up the law and make sure what i read was true and legal to them now, and the manager, and neighbors love them (that im told anyway). also theyre mostly bantams which are excluded from most ordinances and classified as pets and not lives stock or game animals, but what was said by manager was stated or complaint was made to get around that specifically, supposedly. so must be someone who knows me or someone here, who as been back to see them, as its out of the way and wouldnt know unless right out back behind my apartment. if itd been a noise or odor or even health complaint about unfounded health risks i could see, but this seems bogus to me... maybe just time to move, but will be hard to with other rescued and my pets, and ditched here in no were town, by ex (i cant drive as legally blind.. lol). am and hav been cutting down numbers, but some added then since.. hehehe as baby chickens, some other breeds added, and given to me. anyone want game chicks? not sure if all of these are lf or bantam, a some lfs are around, and have two game hens. the hard part will be parting with which ones, and cleaning out place to put cages for ones keeping secret squirrel and maybe just let out in yard while here, so if someone complains ill know who to put on my poo list.

though last couple days my hens were super loud when all together laying in the late morning early afternoon, and have differant standard sized game rooster who is loud though, and chicks do get trough fence to chase bugs around between the open field and the woods of horse and game farms. yes, i said my neighbors have horses that hang their heads over the fences and occasionally walk right up here, and you can here them day and night, especially the stallions fighting (well maybe not a farm but alot of horses most of the time ive lived here.

Last edited:
It's been awhile huh?
big_smile.png
Just checking back in with the East TN folks... Hey Nellabean, the Leghorn/Jersey Giant hen sat on eggs and hatched off 2 baby chicks... She's been raising them successfully with the other larger chickens for 2 weeks now! (I really don't have anywhere safe to put her and the chicks, but she's very protective and the other chickens don't mess with her!)

@Laughingdog - sorry about your chicken situation... sucks! That's why I'm glad I live out in BFE!

@ cybercat- I've been LOVING this rain!! My veggies are getting HUGE!!! I finally have a tomato starting, 2 pumpkins, butt load of zucchini, bell peppers growing, onions, and soon to have okras and sweet corn
smile.png

My meat bunny had her babies today!!! One was on the wire but was fat and still alive so I put in the box with the others, so far I know there are 4! I also got my pointed white baby mini lop from my friend... she's soo cute!

Quote:
Whoo hoo! She was a great broody here, even fought off a hawk once
wink.png
She took a ride on one of my dogs for about 10 feet when she dared sniff her baby LOL. Glad she is doing well there also. I let her raise all of her batches here within the main flock and she did fine.

I have had trouble with broody hatches the last month or so. Just too dang hot....my best broody only hatched 2 of a dozen...I'm guessing the rest of the eggs "cooked". She even stood up over them at times trying to cool them off.

I have a doe who may be due beginning of July. Assuming she "took". Lionhead. She is a frosted pearl, buck is a sable point. No idea what the kits may be. I need a good rabbit color genetics book.

Quote:
Whoo hoo! She was a great broody here, even fought off a hawk once
wink.png
She took a ride on one of my dogs for about 10 feet when she dared sniff her baby LOL. Glad she is doing well there also. I let her raise all of her batches here within the main flock and she did fine.

I have had trouble with broody hatches the last month or so. Just too dang hot....my best broody only hatched 2 of a dozen...I'm guessing the rest of the eggs "cooked". She even stood up over them at times trying to cool them off.

I have a doe who may be due beginning of July. Assuming she "took". Lionhead. She is a frosted pearl, buck is a sable point. No idea what the kits may be. I need a good rabbit color genetics book.

Yeah, I have to ask my friend about colors and sexing, how to palpate... she's very experienced, I've known her since I was in the 2nd grade or something like that... my sister and her were high school buddies and both raised show bunnies.
Here's a photo of my new baby, Odessa. She's really sweet!

55886_odessa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom