Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
WANTED HENS and roosters.

I have a couple of customers that are looking for some breeds that I do not handle.

1st customer is looking for 6 bantam hens and 1 bantam rooster, single breed preferred, breed does not matter.

2nd customer is looking 10 white hens and 1 rooster, single breed preferred, breed also does not matter.

Send me PM with what you have available. Will relay your information to my customers.

Looking in Jefferson City area or near by.

Thanks for your help.

AJ

Last edited:
I left my back gate OPEN yesterday. ALL DAY. This is the gate from the entire world to my backyard. It must have bounced instead of latching when I went back in after letting chickens out around 8am. I noticed this when I got home at about 7pm. Yikes. almost 12 hours of open chicken buffett. I havent counted birds, but havent noticed anyone missing. considering the number of loose dogs in my neighborhood, I got lucky......

Stupid part? I had the same thing happen once before when I was out with my own dogs late at night...went to go back in and the gate was wide open and dogs missing. I did find them at a neighbor's barn within the hour......so I bought one of those automatic closing hinge things. But have never installed it! D'oh.

Popping in with my usual TN Valley fair is approaching! Starts 2 weeks from today. Registration is over (I think) but you can still go and see things! I will be there most of Monday if someone wanted to say HI, otherwise am just planning on dropping off birds Friday for show and sale......going down Monday, a day or two in the evening and the following sunday most likely.

nella bean you got so lucky
smile.png

tnchickenut the one that was injured has a bruised chest but no puncture wounds that I have found I inpsected her from front to back . You can see the bruising very well yesterday. No blood to be found but she is sore as all get out .
sad.png
Would love to know what got my babies .
barnie.gif
We have found no sign of them & I went through alot of brush, weeds yesterday trying to find some sign of feathers , carcass on the property.
I did get my orp roo replaced last pm he is a blue I had really wanted a buff but this time of year not likely. He is really beautiful. He came from show stock but not show worthy his comb is just not right but omg the rest of him is gorgeous.
wee.gif

I decided not to replace the lost hens the hens I currently have will make babies in the spring so I will stay with that . I didn't have the time to grow out another roo for spring hatch is why I got another orp roo. The lost packing peanuts we were growing for freezer camp. Out of the 7 lost 3 of them hurt , the 2 hens & orp roo.
tnchickenut also noted you wanted some cuckoo marans this fellow had some chicks & various sizes he is npip if that helps. I can give you his email address or phone number. Any info you can find so I can better protect my small flock will help thank-you so much.
big_smile.png

Ladyride - there must not be enough food right now to keep predators from enjoying a free meal, for the first time since I started raising livestock I just lost my first animal to a predator who pulled my little blue mini lop buck through the cage and ate it right there last night, so that I could find what was left of him when I fed my bunnies this morning.... I'm thinking raccoon, I don't know what else has the smarts to go to the one cage with the smallest bunny and pull it apart by grabbing it through a small hole on the edge of the cage....
somad.gif

on the chickens missing from outside in broad daylight, without signs, sounds like might be birds of prey, for, or maybe with, their young, as they often teach or attack without the chickens noticing if the chooks dont have at least one who knows to watch the skies and alert the rest. ive had the adults and young in fall, when lived in country try this (luckily i had the camouflouged fencing and netti8ng, and theyd more often hit it and be bewildered or caught in it). i am loving leaving my pigeons and doves out in cages on balcony, were the hawks will circle and stoop into dives, and then just bash themselves silly into the cages (the one pigeon, will flop to bottom of cage when sees them, and flounder around, making alot of noise, for some reason, seeming to tease them while the rest get up under the eaves). i know its wrong, and maybe eve cruel to let them do it, but it seems to teach the stupid youngsters a lesson, and rarely see the same adult twice, unless its really dry and hot.

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm downsizing... matter of fact I'm giving alot of birds away to friends and I'm sure a few more I would sell if someone asked. Some will be eatten as well. I just want to empty out some coops and make feeding and watering easier since I'm going back to full time work.

As for your preditor, I couldn't find the site... but I'm not giving up. It was a fox only site ran by people who want to conserve them. I learned alot and they had calls and sounds to sample. You might be hearing foxes and not realize it's foxes. To me, it sounds fox or coyote like. However, you saying there is no feather piles or clumps laying around... I hate to say it, but it could be human. People are getting more and more hungery and if you lost alot of roosters... could be people trying to eat. I'll keep searching for that site. The people who ran it were very helpful and answered emails quickly.

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm downsizing... matter of fact I'm giving alot of birds away to friends and I'm sure a few more I would sell if someone asked. Some will be eatten as well. I just want to empty out some coops and make feeding and watering easier since I'm going back to full time work.

As for your preditor, I couldn't find the site... but I'm not giving up. It was a fox only site ran by people who want to conserve them. I learned alot and they had calls and sounds to sample. You might be hearing foxes and not realize it's foxes. To me, it sounds fox or coyote like. However, you saying there is no feather piles or clumps laying around... I hate to say it, but it could be human. People are getting more and more hungery and if you lost alot of roosters... could be people trying to eat. I'll keep searching for that site. The people who ran it were very helpful and answered emails quickly.

yeah, i hated to say the thought of it maybe people.. luring in with bread or something even. though id hope theyd gone to useful creatures like birds of prey. i recently had a hen taken by an owl, and she was back the next night, or night after when when to check roost, but didnt here the owl since right before it took off with her. no feathers, hardly any sound, except for dog alerting and gathering the rest of birds up off the doghouse and herding them in it (been to hot latelyy apparently to want to sleep inside it). the hen looked feather frazzled and exhausted, bloody (mostly on spurred feet, and face), but couldnt find any wounds. id been checking around for the more than day for the one whole day, and i couldnt find it, and dogg deep off into the woods barked at one spot til called him in, as assumed it was dead, as he didnt herd it in (so assuming it was hiding/resting). so maybe at least some of yours are just going to take time to get back home.. hopefully. course the rooster calling for it, probably helped it to find its way back. good luck and hope some of your make it back.. or at least if people did take to eat, they get horribly ill or worse. hehehe

Last edited:
5 out of the 7 were only 8 weeks old the 2 hens were maybe another 3-4 weeks from laying. They didn't get a whole lot to eat from them in my mind even if it was people. It also took more than 1 of anything to have got those chicks & hens. I truly hope it was some kind of predator I would hate to think a person would do this . I ain't rich can barely keep my bills paid, I am raising these for my food & sell a few eggs. I am working on trying to be self sustaining with my food. i grow a garden put up everything I possibly can. Besides my chickens have got to taste better than in the store. But be it critter or person it will stop the ole man is ticked to say the least, got really tickled at him he said that was for my stomach that something just made off with. We are still letting them free range as long as we are out there shotgun in hand, he said ain't nothing going to make of with anything else. They are in their run the rest of the time. Now the runs is critter proof but not people proof. So here is to hoping we got them safe.

Hello, I'm near Knoxville and I need to find a feed store that carries game bird starter and good chick starter. Does anyone know where a good one might be? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom