Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
New barn cats.

2011-12-31_20-15-03_453.jpg

Happy New Years everyone! I have 4 chicks hatch today and yesterday, but none close to midnight. I still have 5 more eggs in the bator! Going to be a fun day!

TNchicken721: I had a Marans go missing one day after being out free ranging and thought a predator had got her only to find her a several days later under a galvanized tub inside the fenced in area of the coop. She was still alive! She had laid a few egg under there. I guess she had be in search of a quiet spot and when she found one she couldn't get out. She is our Lazarus chicken since she was raised from the dead. We gave her some special attention for a few days and now I can't tell her apart from the rest.

NellaBean: I
love.gif
Guinea Pig Land!

Any Australian Shepherd owners out there? How are they with the chickens? We have two kids. They enjoyed Christmas so much, but a few days after Christmas our pug wondered off. I have call all the dog pounds and shelters with no luck. I think someone took him home and since I am from Gatlinburg, it was most likely a tourist. I keep telling them he is on his great pug adventure (like in Milo and Odis.) They are still just heart broken. I thought it would be good time to make one of my husbands dreams come true. He has wanted a Aussie as long as I can remember (and never really liked the pug). In fact that is how he ended up with an Australian Cattle Dog. He went to look at the pups thinking they where going to be Australian Shepherds and ended up buying a Australian Cattle Dog. 12 years later I think it is time he get the real thing. LOL

My son will be in 4th grade next year and can finally be apart of 4-H. Anyone have children be apart of agility or companion dog training in 4-H?

We had a McNab a while back that we rescued as a puppy. He had entirely too high of a prey drive though and a hard mouth. They are bred to be brave and to nip pretty hard at the hocks of cattle. Very smart, but ours did not do well with any other animals. He herded but did so in an aggressive way. McNabs are a little more aggressive than an ausie, so it might easier. If you can get a 6 week old you may have a good chance of him adopting the chickens as his "herd"

ive taken even old chicken, cat, dog, and human intruder killer dogs and re trained them just fine. its all in how you learn to handle them. i personally that aside dont like the constant need to brush an aussie, or that they want to bark at everything constantly for any reason, they can be mouthy, but not bad if conditioned. ive never tried working with one to herd, so dont know how hard their prey drive would be if tried to only to point encourage prey drive, but they make great watch dogs and know they do great around cats and small kids, and other small things even, but never seen around birds to much. i met some breeders local i can ask about pups if you want, but i see alot on craigs also pretty frequent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom