Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Southern but some things I do not eat: opossum, squirrel, turtle, coon or frog. I may have missed some but those are top of my list. I do not judge anyone who does and if Armageddon hits I may reevaluate my menu.
wink.png
gig.gif
I have found chickens enjoy opossum!

Well we have the first predator of the season. My son & husband are outside shooting as I type. I have heard 3 shots so far. I don't know if the opossum brought its family or what? We have a retaining wall behind the house with chain link fencing on each end to make a secure run for the dogs. Mr or Ms opossum must have been trying to get into the small coop we built for the Orp babies because it fell into the yard. The dogs went nuts as it made its way across the deck. After much discussion as to which weapon to use they went outside to find it had gotten out of the back yard. They are off in the woods hunting it now.
hu.gif
It would have been much easier to turn Cass out on it but did not want to risk him getting hurt.

They are back its dead!
celebrate.gif
I have had dogs visit tonight... no chickens were hurt. I came to the rescue, but they tried digging into the coop with my bantam wyandottes and bantam barred rocks... both I breed and have put time and money into. A beagle would have died if they got in.

Such a beautiful afternoon, I just had to take a few photo of my chickens... thought I would share just for fun!

This is my favorite Swedish Flower Hen that I kept from this past springs hatch:

DD with my Eng. Orp.

BW/AM from Tennesseeckn's eggs.

Olandsk Dwarf Rooster.

Eng. Orp Rooster from Easter hatch.... so big and he isn't done growing!

Love the SFH!!! LOL, and the little girl is a doll! I hope my eggs hatch, got SFH & Orps...

Well my no #1 rooster got hit today by next door dog. Lot's feather loss ( he was just getting pretty again from moult) No puncture marks that we could find but man feathers everywhere. He hobbled away, but he walked away. We had no idea anything was going on til neighbor was coming across yard with B-B gun shooting at his own dog. That shocked me more than anything. God love his heart he was soooo upset. His dog is a husky mix high prey drive (does not run loose). He broke for a running flapping , chicken.
We will be playing waiting game to see how he does. He's a good roo to !! We have a mutual respect for each other he takes care of the ladies, I hand out treats, be good you get some. Blue was a little shocky for awhile but he sure perked up for sunflower seeds.He loves them. Broke my heart this pm went out to check on him it seemed all wrong him on the floor. But he still went for sunflower seeds. Will update in am . He's just a great roo. I have 2 really good roos 1 very large Blue orpington, 1 rather large Brahma. Yes they are named Blue & Clint. brahma hens named. That is where naming stopped.

welcome-byc.gif
ot our little site !!!!!!!!

Well my no #1 rooster got hit today by next door dog. Lot's feather loss ( he was just getting pretty again from moult) No puncture marks that we could find but man feathers everywhere. He hobbled away, but he walked away. We had no idea anything was going on til neighbor was coming across yard with B-B gun shooting at his own dog. That shocked me more than anything. God love his heart he was soooo upset. His dog is a husky mix high prey drive (does not run loose). He broke for a running flapping , chicken.
We will be playing waiting game to see how he does. He's a good roo to !! We have a mutual respect for each other he takes care of the ladies, I hand out treats, be good you get some. Blue was a little shocky for awhile but he sure perked up for sunflower seeds.He loves them. Broke my heart this pm went out to check on him it seemed all wrong him on the floor. But he still went for sunflower seeds. Will update in am . He's just a great roo. I have 2 really good roos 1 very large Blue orpington, 1 rather large Brahma. Yes they are named Blue & Clint. brahma hens named. That is where naming stopped.

welcome-byc.gif
ot our little site !!!!!!!!
You sure the roo didn't get hit with a BB? That would be my second concern after checking for dog wounds.

Love the pictures. I take lots of pictures and then feature my chickens in paintings. Sell them on etsy, ebay and local galleries. I have to keep some of them though. I even put them on my tee shirts and coffee cups. They are so beautiful. Gotta love the chicks!

How come everyone was so quiet over the weekend and today also?

I miss my friends.
Scrambling to get ready for the show in Newport Sat!! Still have to decide who to show and finish painting quilt squares for hen houses! Soap is made and curing..ready to sale. I noticed it was pretty quite...only 6 post when I got on last night!!!
Welcome to all our new comers...glad to see we are still growing!

@littlechicklet..got my first possum of the season...he went bye bye. Hey....if you had the chance to eat frog legs and coon fixed the right way...you would love it.
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom