Eastern Wild hen nesting right behind our pens

I will hope for your wild one - we are in central ontario and we had 2 wild turkey hens that must have been orphaned last summer, they joined our flock kind of casually, but we did get them in the barn overwinter (don't tell the authorities!!!)
smile.png
and they continued to hang around until it's been about 2 weeks now that we haven't seen them...we are hoping they show up in a month or so with little ones behind them. They will not be too far from where our dog can get to, so hopefully the presence of the dog will discourage any predators - there sure are foxes, raccoons, skunks, coyotes around here - they will possibly have a tough time but here's hoping to yours & ours!
p.s. i often read your posts because you are very knowledgeable and sensible - FYI i just locked down my brinsea 20 this a.m. - 9 eggs - bourbon reds and dare we hope 1 or 2 mixed wild-bb'reds because Tom was showing affection to the wild girls before they took off...who knows maybe when the wild girls return our bb-red Tom will be "living on" that way too maybe...or they could have re-joined a wild flock and we'll never know.
smile.png
Take care,

we have a hen that has a nest around 40yards behind our coop.this is the second year with her last year a racoon got in her nest an she would not leave our young chicks alone she would just walk around there pen trying to get them we could get with in 15 ft of her.the other day she was eating scratch with our chickens in the yard.lol

Last edited:
Sooo neat! One year, we had about five turkey hens, all with babies, crossing our road. It was like a turkey nursery or something! But we've never seen that many since.....and it's probably been a good five years or more. Now we just see an occasional single hen.

I bought my first poults this weekend! I bought a Royal Palm and a Blue Slate. They are fascinating. Tiny and sooo adoreable.....I look forward to raising them......

Thanks for sharing your turkey experience, Steve!

Keep us posted Steve, because that is neat her nesting so close to your pens!

I've not seen any of the wild turkeys aound here this year, last year we saw two different bunches in the pastures most every day. I did however find two hens about a week apart that someone had just shot and left laying near the road we live on.
rant.gif
I hope, just once I can catch the varmit that's doing it.

Back
Top Bottom