Easy, free wall liner that chickens won't eat?

Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
OK....in a place where I have no problems with moisture and condensation....

I want to put up insulation, and then something easier and cheaper and faster than a second plywood layer.

I know a lady who used Typar (that black cloth that is put under a gravel road), and it worked pretty well. After a few years there are a couple of spots that the chickens pecked holes, but very little. Also, it doesn't seem to hold onto the chicken dust.

However, I don't have any extra Typar laying around.

I have roofing felt, but I think that is covered in toxic stuff...right? So, I shouldn't use it? Anyone know for sure? I have already used a little of it, but I put in, in places I don't think the chickens will be able to reach, and then painted it. It holds the paint perfectly.

I have a fair amount of white row cover and weed barrier fabric, but both of those seem a bit flimsy. I do not think they will hold up. Anyone tried them?

I was thinking, maybe some old tarp fabric? I have some tarps..might run out before I finish my project...but I think they would last well, and not be toxic.

Or cardboard? I could just put up sheets of cardboard over the insulation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input, or rambling thoughts on the topic.

That would work.....but I don't have any lying about.
sad.png
If you have stores that do flooring in your area you have ask about remnants, cheapest why to get it if you don't mind mix/match. I found vinyl sheet flooring at Lowes that is $.51 a sqft

Corrugated Cardboard the heaver the better (Appliance boxes the best). As long as your coop is fairly dry you will be surprised how long it will last.

It is easy to patch and maintain with a construction grade stapler .

I personally used the veneer off some interior bedroom doors got them at Habitat for Humanity (already varnished) took them off the 2x2 frame with a table saw.

Did my fitting with a good pair of tin snips.

The vinyl flooring is good especially if you turn the pattern side against the outside wall. The colour is the same then and it cleans up like a breeze just hose the walls down. Just ask for remnants like another BYCer suggested..

Feed bags also would work do not cut them open leave as is with the double ply.

Easy peasey.

Last edited:
Duckman, nope, any wood sheet, plywood or OSB or whatever, is at least $28 to $35 or more. Way expensive.

I think I am going to try cardboard.

Thanks or the thought.

Woven plastic feed sacks. Remove the string at top and bottom, Cut the bag open. Now you have several square feet of tough plastic wall paper. Put the printed side out for a colorful touch or printed side in for a white interior.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I really like having different possible choices, so I can then use what works best for each situation.

Ooh! I think the cardboard and/ or feedsacks. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom