Easy hen house cleaning

GlacierHen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
I layed down rolled linoleum on the floor of my coop and it is super easy to clean. The smells don't get caught in the floor boards so it helps control smell too. I used a cheap thin type which works well, but next time I would go for the heavy duty kind. A "soft" plastic snow shovel is best for cleaning as sharp metal tools will scrape and cut the linoleum which renders it useless. I would not use the linoleum squares because moisture will get in the cracks and cause it all to pop up and make a mess.

That is my intent to use linoleum on the floor over the OSB board. Did not think about the cheap vs the better qualities. I saw pictures of someones coop that put the linoleum up on the 2x4 floor to wall board so the poop and shavings don't get under the wall. I hope that makes sense.

Hi,

I'm using recycled linoleum that had to be patched together to cover the bottom of my 8 x 10' coop. The surface is great in the chicken area, which is covered with wood shavings, but I wouldn't recommend patching together pieces. In the entry/storage area dirt and debris gets stuck in-between the cracks and make the linoleum curl up. I'm probably going to have to replace that part of it in the spring.

i got rubber roofing for my floor. i also change the bedding more than most others. I used to drive by a egg farm as a kid. no smell is good smell.

How slick is the linoleum when it gets chicken dropping on it? Is it safe, if it is, I might give it a shot.

I have linoleum in both my large and small coop. I use pine shavings on top of the linoleum and have had no injuries to my birds. Most of mine are large breeds and jump down from the roost right to the floor.
EASY to clean and maintain.
Mine have been in use about a year now.

I have had no problems with linoleum being slick and injuring my birds. They have been using it since they were chicks.

I covered the bottom of my 3' x 6' coop with 1/2 cement board, picked up two sheets for about eight bucks apiece in the tile section of the hardware store. Taped and mudded the joint, and sealed with a cement water sealer. Easy enough for me, I've been doing remodeling, including tile, for the past eighteen years. It's durable; water, stain, and germ-proof; and easy to clean up.

my coop has been in use for a week and half so we'll see. i used cheap linoleum. i have a door 10" high & 2 1/2 feet long hinged at the top & opens from the outside. i open the door & push the litter outside onto a tarp to pick up & throw into the compost. i overloaded the coop just before putting my chicks in there. i used this door to clear some of it out. it worked super easy.

Back
Top Bottom