Easy worming methods

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
What are the easiest worming methods? I am very interested in wormers that can be added to drinking water.
Are there any that do not require egg withdrawal?

The only ones I know of that are still available are levamisole (Prohibit powder online,) Wormout Gel online, and the very expensive version of SafeGuard Aquasol for cattle (around $300.) Piperazine or Wazine, the one used for years to treat only roundworms, is off the market I believe. The ones for direct dosage are Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, and Panacur horse past. They cannot be mixed into water.

How many chickens do you have? Have you had any droppings checked for worms by a vet fecal float? Valbazen dosage is 1/2 tsp orally for a 4-6 pound chicken, then repeat in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 tsp per pound for 5 straight days.

Last edited:
The only ones I know of that are still available are levamisole (Prohibit powder online,) Wormout Gel online, and the very expensive version of SafeGuard Aquasol for cattle (around $300.) Piperazine or Wazine, the one used for years to treat only roundworms, is off the market I believe. The ones for direct dosage are Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, and Panacur horse past. They cannot be mixed into water.

How many chickens do you have? Have you had any droppings checked for worms by a vet fecal float? Valbazen dosage is 1/2 tsp orally for a 4-6 pound chicken, then repeat in @0 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1/4 tsp per pound for 5 straight days.

The retreat is 10 days right? I think that @ is a tiny typo. ;)

The retreat is 10 days right? I think that @ is a tiny typo. ;)
Thank you Eggcessive. I had to buy the safe-guard liquid for goats. Could not find the others at the local farm stores.
I just started another thread with the hopes of finding a recipe to mix the safeguard in water.
Just saw your reply now.
The little bottle was $33 and I might return it. To give 1/4 tsp every day for 5 days per chicken ...I would have to buy a few more bottles

How many chickens do you have? Have you tested them for worms or seen any? The liquid goat wormer and other wormers will settle out, so they need to be mixed well and shaken. Valbazen sheep and cattle wormer is one I use. It also is a suspension, shaken well, but it is 500ml and that is 250 doses for most 5 pound chickens. It costs more, around $50, but a dose and repeated dose in 10 days is all that is needed for most possible chicken worms. You can buy it in some feed stores, but is available online.

The only water soluble wormers I know of are levamisole (Prohibit powder) mixed into water. And Wormout Gel, but it is used 2 straight days, and my chickens didn’t like the orange taste. You can only find those online. Here is where to find Valbazen online:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer

In the past Wazine was used in the water for roundworms only, and it is off the market.

What are the easiest worming methods? I am very interested in wormers that can be added to drinking water.
Are there any that do not require egg withdrawal?
Yes. Flubedazole is the active chemical. There are various tradenames; Flubenvet is probably the most common.
It's the only wormer permitted in much of the EU and UK.
There is no egg restriction time. There is a seven day restriction time on eating the chicken though.

Flubenvet or flubendazole is not available in the US.

I just remembered that @casportpony wrote a thread with dosage for the SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer dosage added to food for 5 days, that can be given without an egg withdrawal. Here is the thread and dosage is in post 1:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

SafeGuard also has a very expensive version called SafeGuard Aquasol for cattle, under $300 for just a quart, and it can be put in the water. I can try to find dosage if you are interested. Here is a link with dosage, but it seems to be out of stock now:
https://www.qcsupply.com/safeguard-aquasol-poultry.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom