Eat with chickens

And tilapia, being a not very fishy fish, would be a great protein supplement for your flock (the non human consumable parts of the fish, of course).
Some curiosity there - I assume the pin bones would be harmful if eaten wrong, but what if sent through a blender first? Could they be consumed as a calcium supplement?

He might be thinking, ok you filet it, there's the spine, head area with meat. if you threw some of them SOME... Id hate to think what a bucket of that would smell like ugh!!, the chickens might chew off the meat nuggets.

Or if not, you grab the big easy stuff, then take a fork and pull off the rest of the meat, since it's not a nice filet, it's more like a pile of mush, it'd be great chicken supplement.

Boiling it may release it too, would also soften the bones to where they may not be a hazard anymore, like a seafood / chicken food starter broth. if you are going that route, put the eyes in there too, thicken it up and flavor it a LOT for the part YOU eat.

Aaron

Some curiosity there - I assume the pin bones would be harmful if eaten wrong, but what if sent through a blender first? Could they be consumed as a calcium supplement?
It might just break the sharp parts down into smaller sharp parts. I like your thinking but not sure if that'd work. Wow, now you got me thinking there too. I didn't think of the fish being chicken food, just the hydrophonic part of it, growing plants, and the fish poop being plant fertilizer... might need to rethink that !!

Aaron

Saturday Night Live solved for the fish bones issue YEARS ago…

EB705B4A-BEC7-47CD-87B0-68EB91C87781.jpeg

All joking aside, I feel like there's a real opportunity in areas in the southern US with invasive species remediation and feeding poultry.

Florida and other places have a ton of invasive fish species, and both the southeast and Texas have large wild hog populations.

An individual could harvest and feed in small quantities, but at some point someone will figure this out and have a capture/cook/grind process followed by drying or canning.

The easiest way to control a species is to eat it (or feed it to our flock).

Yesterday I had some wilted lettuce, ends of cucumbers, bell pepper cores, and strawberry tops for the ladies. A salad sized bowl. I kid you not, they had all of it eaten in about 20 minutes! They love their fruit & veggie supplement. During the work week, I don’t get over to the farm to see them every day, so I had a few days saved up. Lol

Back
Top Bottom