Eating a Peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I know that few, if any, of us would want to eat one of our pretty peafowl, but when I was searching for aviary ideas on youtube I stumbled across a guy who ordered a peacock from an exotic food company and he prepared it and ate it. He finally takes a bite around 8:41 in the video...It is worth a watch just to hear what he thinks about it. I just found it interesting because I know people used to serve peafowl at big dinner parties or something. In fact, in one of the Pirates of the Carribean there is a peacock on a dinner table... Anyways here is the video:

Would I eat one of my peafowl? Nope!

2. skookumchuck

skookumchuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    I have had it before and it is very good I would say it taste closer to phesant than turket but very good no the less. It was an interesting video thanks for sharing.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow interesting! I guess I would try some as long as it wasn't one of my birds...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I'm scared to look at the link. :oops:

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Ick! I can't wrap my head around the thought of eating a peacock! [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I was told that the man that owned the ones given to me would sometimes process his out. If it had a crooked leg or toes so messed up that it could not be a breeder bird he would eat them.

Like you guys, I do not think I could do it. I can do ducks and chickens but have not even done any guineas.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

To me (and just my personal opinion), eating a peacock is like eating the family dog or cat. :sick :oops:

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2, but if I were in a different country, I would probably try anything.

10. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

This from the state where they think crawdads (aka mudbugs) are a delicacy? [​IMG]I guess it would depend on how hungry I was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by