Eating bantam roosters?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by eprouty, Jun 2, 2012.

1. eprouty

eprouty Hatching

Jun 3, 2011
    I am, at this very moment, slaughtering my first chickens. I got a couple roosters in my straight run bantams that had to go. I had the idea in my head that I would be cooking them like a Cornish game hen, but now that I have one prepped it just doesn't look like it has any meat on it - it's about 11 weeks old. So, does anybody bother eating these or should I just give them a proper burial?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Cut them up as fryers or make a good soup out of them. The feisty little buggers can be tough but flavorful.

3. MomKat

MomKat In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Cook them down for soup or broth! I freeze broth to use for all kinds of things!

4. KristyHall

KristyHall Crowing

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I agree with sourland and momkat. Even though they do not have much meat, they make a fantastic stock that you can then boiled own and freeze for later. My freezer is full of frozen condensed stock from birds too small to bake. Be sure to pick the shreds of meat off the bones after they have been boiled and freeze that too.

Then on a cold winter's day, you heat the stock up, throw in some veggies and noodles, and you have instant chicken noodle soup in less than thirty minutes.

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Kristy said! [​IMG]

6. swift4me

swift4me Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    in the Pyrenees
    I fry them and enjoy the "toughness" of the bird. Meat doesn't have to be tender every time you eat it. They are tasty and I gladly accept babty roosters from the neighbors. They are so small, they barely make enough for a meal for me, but I really do like them.

Pete

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I will add that I made awesome stock with my bantum roosters last year. Surprised me how rich it was compared to store bought (not sure why surprised at that, but I was).

8. gotthefever

gotthefever Chirping

Oct 6, 2014
    great info!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  9. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Songster

Jun 10, 2014
    I'd also suggest stock - there's just not going to be much on an 11 week old bantam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: