1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redstarbill, Nov 18, 2008.

1. redstarbill

redstarbill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    I've been trying different ways to cook duck eggs. pouching, hard boiled, deviled eggs, frying and baking. my family says they get a stomach ache or don't feel good after eating them except for the baked goods. and frying them they get too rubbery. is it all in there head? any suggestions?

2. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    to see if its all in there head maybe you could pretend that they're chicken eggs? Or will they be able to tell the difference by looking at them? I've never eaten my duck eggs so I dunno.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    My husband will always choose a duck egg rather than a chicken egg. He has them fried for breakfast and loves them. So does my younger daughter. I think you could try the pretend they are chicken eggs test and see if they notice.

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i want to try it to and see how it taste.. i have heard many things about duck eggs but i want to see for myself

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I have never tried duck eggs and have wondered the same thing. Although, I doubt I'll ever see any with my free ranging gang.

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    We used to eat our duck eggs. They were yummy! We had mallards years ago, until they joined a wild flock and flew away.

I agree to pretend they are chicken eggs. Scramble them so no one can tell. Add a little milk and shredded cheese and don't overcook.

7. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    So scrambled is the best way? I heard they are a bit more rich than a chicken egg. What does "rich" mean in relation to an egg?

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I think if you're trying to disguise them, then scrambled would be best. As I remember, the yolk was much oranger than our chicken eggs and more "yolkier" tasting. A more eggy tasting egg! And larger than chicken eggs that we had back then. Bigger and better!

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

if you really want to find out if it is in their heads, cook some chicken eggs and tell them it is duck eggs. See if they get sick to their stomachs.....then tell them they were chicken eggs so now what!

If they do get sick on duck eggs it could be that they are too rich! Richness in foods will sometimes give you a stomach ache or the trots!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  10. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:No it's true. I can eat them all day long but my wife says they make her queezy, if they are cooked into something she does fine. I think it's becuase they are so rich. It's just the duck eggs though she does fine with turkey and goose eggs.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by