Eating feathers?!

Miss Lydia

Enlightened
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
I think the feed you giving them now is fine. What is the protein content in your feed your using? Once they have grown in their flight feathers in you don’t have to worry about angel wing so just leave off the oats.

Beaglegal

Songster
Sep 8, 2019
Western Washington
So I'm in bed with a cluster headache/ migraine today and my mom is being really nice and picking up the ducks food for me. As mentioned, I give them Flock Party non medicated chick starter crumbles, ground up and mixed with ground oats so they don't get TOO much protein, and I also mix in Brewer's yeast. I cut back on the oats a little since the random feather eating started to give them some extra protein, and give them some mealworms as an occasional treat. Is there any reason to put them on feed specifically for ducks? Some lady at the store told my mom that her ducks were paralyzed from eating chicken feed.
I feed my ducks layer feed and they are fine... I do feed crumble rather than pellets because they like it better. Then they forage for bugs all day

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
I feed my ducks layer feed and they are fine... I do feed crumble rather than pellets because they like it better. Then they forage for bugs all day
Now that it's a little warmer, mine have discovered their love of mud and all the bugs within! :jumpy Nothing will ever stop their love of romaine lettuce, though.

Miss Lydia

Enlightened
Premium member
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
I decided to feed my flock Non GMO and only way I can buy it is in layer so to keep my boys from getting too much calcium I mix the Non GMO 6 way scratch with it an offer oyster shell to my layers

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
I decided to feed my flock Non GMO and only way I can buy it is in layer so to keep my boys from getting too much calcium I mix the Non GMO 6 way scratch with it an offer oyster shell to my layers
After Hemmie laid her first (and only, so far) egg, I started putting oyster shell in a dish for her, thanks to y'all's advice!

Top Bottom