Eating feathers

ffrisone

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Harford County, MD
Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm ready to throw in the towel on keeping chickens. This flock, which has been flawless for over a year and a half... so healthy, so productive, so gentle and friendly, have resorted to eating other alive. I have tried everything suggested everywhere. Space limitations should not be an issue, protein deficiency should not be an issue since they've been on the same food for over 2 yrs now (Layena layer pellets) and we've been giving them more protein to try and help things. The other possibility is boredom. Don't know how we can help that very much. We've been hanging cabbages and other treats to keep them occupied. I just cannot get them to stop. They are slowly being destroyed. They pick feathers off each other and eat them and they just let it happen. They don't even move away from each other. Now some are bleeding a little. I've been cleaning them and I'm also trying to use Blu-Kote spray to keep the open sores not as noticeable. I've used Pick No More ointment as well. It's like battling a terminal cancer. I'm not winning. And it breaks my heart to see them like this. Need a Hail Mary.

Space limitations should not be an issue, protein deficiency should not be an issue since they've been on the same food for over 2 yrs now (Layena layer pellets) and we've been giving them more protein to try and help things. The other possibility is boredom. Don't know how we can help that very much. We've been hanging cabbages and other treats to keep them occupied.
Photos of your set up? What's the protein % in your feed? Unfortunately you're working against yourself - if you're supplementing protein to try and break the habit but then offering food to relieve boredom, you're diluting down the protein. Have you tried adding non food items (clutter) to help relieve boredom instead?

Pinless peepers aren't a bad idea either at this point.

Are they getting outside to walk around and peck grass and bugs every day? If not, they may need more room in coop or run. Many cannot free range, but they really love to get outside and roam. Larger coop and runs, with things to climb on and investigate may be needed. How many do you have, what breeds, and how big is their space? What are you feeding?

Changing their feed might help curb some of the boredom. Also, what are you feeding for extra protein and are you providing extra calcium?

A year and a half is 18 months - they're probably preparing to molt which, would definitely explain the feather eating.

Back
Top Bottom